Sign in to follow this  

Gaining low and mid range power, Exhaust ?

I've gotten a bit bored with the power of my CRF250 and mainly want to add bottom and mid range power to it, I'm not a racer but do enjoy climbing hills and such at old quarry's and more power would make it a little more fun...

So what would be a good option for me ? Exhaust, Porting, Cam ?

I'm going look out for a second hand exhaust but which are best at low/mid power ? I think pro circuit and Leo Vince are going to be the most available exhaust for me, Are either good for me ?

And porting seems a good option also, Would i gain much power from it ?

Thanks

without a doubt, you should try a hot cams stage 1 cam... awesome early power and response in every engine i have tried with one

Try to get one of the lowboy style headpipes,they seem to add to the low end torque. If you don't want to try the HC stage 1 that mixxer recommended then you could try the OEM 250X cam.

What year is your bike? If it's an EFI machine, the yoshi slip on seems to be the #1 choice for increasing the bottom and midrange power.

I am thinking about the Yoshi slip on for a 2011, do I need a re-map too? What will going down one tooth in the front do for me with or without the pipe?

The EFI bikes will compensate (up to a point) for swapping out the exhaust. So you can run them without a remap. That said, a good remap and the exhaust upgrade will really wake up the bike.

I wouldn't recommend going down a tooth on the front of a 250 because you will be very busy shifting gears with the narrower spread between gears. Unless, you are mainly riding trails and not racing. I tried lower gear ratios on my 2012 and was shifting way too much. Tried a 14/51 combo and then finally went a tooth taller (13 front/48 rear) with my FMF RCT exhaust and it works very well.

I am thinking about the Yoshi slip on for a 2011, do I need a re-map too? What will going down one tooth in the front do for me with or without the pipe?