Sign in to follow this  

Greasing the swing bearings - easy way?

Hi there,

I was just wondering - is there any way to grease the swing arm bearings w/o removing the swing arm?

I'm worried that my '04 swing bolt won't come loose.

Chris

No you have to remove the swingarm unless there is zerk fittings on the swingarm. If not you couls always drill and tap and install your own zerk fittings a easy job.

Grease early, grease often! If you can't get the bolt out, then it needs grease for sure. I recall someone talking about using an air hammer to get it out, just make sure you don't screw up the end, especially the threads unless you want to buy a new one.

I've heard of a lot of guys doing the grease zerk mod to the swingarm and linkage parts. Just make sure to place them where they won't be in the way or get broken off. If you snap one off, be prepared for lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth as you try to remove it...

My buddy's '87 KDX had grease zerks on all of the suspension pivot bolts. They are hollow and have the fitting on one end and holes on the sides where the bearing surfaces are. I really wish all bikes would come from the factory like this! I guess all they're concerned about now is wringing the last little 0.5 horsepower out of that little motor so they can get top of the chart is the latest magazine shootout...

Chris are you talking about the nut not loosening up, or the bolt itself being stuck through the swingarm once you have the nut off? I took your post as afraid the nut wont come off, even tho you said "bolt wont come loose", but sp is talking as if you mean the bolt wont push out of the hole after nut is off...kinda makes a difference.

Yep, grease early and grease often.

I enjoy helping a friend work on their seized WR suspension bolts (insert a little sarcasm). Bike on side, lube squirted in, heat applied somehow (usually lame hair dryer that does no good), big hammer, flared bolt threads, lots of cursing and question "are you sure we're hitting it the right way?", call to Yamaha dealer regarding price of new bolts....

Chris are you talking about the nut not loosening up, or the bolt itself being stuck through the swingarm once you have the nut off? I took your post as afraid the nut wont come off, even tho you said "bolt wont come loose", but sp is talking as if you mean the bolt wont push out of the hole after nut is off...kinda makes a difference.

I didn´t try loosening the bolt.. I am just assuming that one of the parts involved will be hard to remove. :bonk:

So, in case I wanted to install a grease zerk - could I do this while the swing arm is installed? From what I can see in the drawings, I should be able to drill a hole in the orange marked areas.. :smirk:

swingarmq.th.jpg

I didn´t try loosening the bolt.. I am just assuming that one of the parts involved will be hard to remove. :bonk:

So, in case I wanted to install a grease zerk - could I do this while the swing arm is installed? From what I can see in the drawings, I should be able to drill a hole in the orange marked areas.. :smirk:

swingarmq.th.jpg

It's not that simple.

You still need to remove the bushings etc. Thet will also have to be drilled or machined to allow the grease to enter the bearing.

The seals on the Yamaha are not really suitable. They are designed to keep dirt/water out, not grease in.

Besides, I wouldn't fancy the idea of having the swarf from drilling & tapping in there too.

Do yourself a favor and go buy some brass punches. Use of the brass punches will keep you from flaring the end of the bolt.

If your swingarm is frozen and you can still ride the bikethen: Get a can of Aeroil Kroil penetrant. Lay your bike on its side spray the penetrant on either side of the swing arm bearings. you must lay the bike on each side. Next ride the bike on your regular ride. a couple session of doing this and your swingarm bolt probably will free up with a minimal of pounding. The vibration from riding will help the Aeroil Krol penetrate between the bushing and the shaft.

Holy shit, installing zerks on the linkage is a great idea. I am so used to using the zerks also on all of my commercial lawn mowers...Has anyone ever done a write up on this? And does anyone know as to why Honda or anyone for that matter has ever done this???

I will most definitely do this but I am just wondering if there is a reason NOT to. Seems like the big wigs @ Honda would've revised all of it with zerks by now if it was meant to have them....

Drilling holes for zerks and grease passageways in the bolt will greatly diminish the integrity of your swing arm bolt. I would rather have to pull the bolt and bearings out once a year then have my swing arm fly off while riding.

Drilling holes for zerks and grease passageways in the bolt will greatly diminish the integrity of your swing arm bolt. I would rather have to pull the bolt and bearings out once a year then have my swing arm fly off while riding.

Werd, I completely agree although I would like to pursue this topic more. How nice would it be to be able to walk around your bike with a grease gun after every ride? I'm very maintenance savvy though, so that type of stuff gives me a raging boner :smirk::bonk::banana:

We actually got the Mobil 1 synthetic grease that's reddish pink (that stuff is undoubtedly the best) but we basically crammed it and worked it in where we could when I did my rear brakes even though it's all coming off soon and will be done anyway. You can try this way but the only right way involves removing it all.

Like someone said earlier.....do it early (before anything seizes up) and do it often (15 minutes once a month)

That reminds of something else I do now.......:bonk: