Sign in to follow this  

2008 450 XCF Shock Bushing

So... after a long, brutal, yet great, Thanksgiving weekend of riding my KTM, I got home, cleaned my bike, went to look it over and found the top bolt to my shock was missing. Thankfully I was able to find this out while not riding the bike, but that is a different story. Yes I had used Loctite and checked it before the weekend, not sure what happened.

Anyways, I bought the new bolt, went to go and install it, went right in no issue. I went to lift the bike onto the stand and there was some play in the shock like it was loose, sure enough the inner bearing and bushings were all missing as well, which seems strange. I tore it all apart to get a better look, nothing looks out of place, just missing a few parts. I found the parts online but I have not ordered them yet.

My question is has anyone ever replaced these parts and is it a fairly easy job? Will I need to press anything? I just want to know if it is something I can do with a standard set of tools to be riding again this weekend, or if it needs to go to the shop to be fixed. Thanks!

I have had this bolt come loose more then once. I suspect that if the joint is dry that the movement of the shock will start to loosen up the bolt. Just a guess. You lost the bushings when the bolt came out. Again, been there, done that. A blow torch, driver of some sort and a little patients will get the job done.

I took it all apart again a couple nights ago to see what was going on...

The bearing and seals are all in place, which is good cause that is $65 in parts and a pain to replace. Bearing looks good and moves freely, seals looked good as well.

Based on the parts map online, the outer bushings (3) are gone and I am thinking that is what keeps the shock tight with no play. I ordered the bushings last night, should have them soon, hoping I won't need a blow torch... I guess I will find out soon enough. Thanks for the feedback.