Sign in to follow this  

the right bike for me ?

Hey everyone. I am 22 years old ,5'7'' in height and about 160 pounds. My uncle bought my 12 year old cousin a 2008 KLX 140 L for his first bike and it turned out to be my first bike as well to learn on. I find it a blast riding the dirtbike and want to buy one for my self to join them. What do you think a good bike for me would be. I like the klx but it seems under powered. If i buy a bike i dont want to get bored with it quickly. Most of my riding will be thru trails, and the occasional track just for fun. yamaha ttr 230 im afraid i will get bored with. i have herd good things about the honda crf 150R. My uncle is telling me to get a KDX200 but there are not many sold used/hard to find. I was also tossing around the idea of looking at a yz125 or do you think that would be too much bike at the moment ?

Like your uncle said, a KDX200 or 220 would be a great trail bike with plenty of power.

I wouldn't get a high strung four stroke. The trail engines are great, they last forever and make good torque. When you make a four stroke into a race engine though, it becomes very maintenance intensive and short lived.

Hey everyone. I am 22 years old ,5'7'' in height and about 160 pounds. My uncle bought my 12 year old cousin a 2008 KLX 140 L for his first bike and it turned out to be my first bike as well to learn on. I find it a blast riding the dirtbike and want to buy one for my self to join them. What do you think a good bike for me would be. I like the klx but it seems under powered. If i buy a bike i dont want to get bored with it quickly. Most of my riding will be thru trails, and the occasional track just for fun. yamaha ttr 230 im afraid i will get bored with. i have herd good things about the honda crf 150R. My uncle is telling me to get a KDX200 but there are not many sold used/hard to find. I was also tossing around the idea of looking at a yz125 or do you think that would be too much bike at the moment ?

You aren't really posting in the correct forum but I'll comment anyway, I would suspect this question will be moved by a moderator so just expect that to happen.

It sounds like you've been given sound advice already but I'll try to add to it.

First off, there are lots of different motorcycles that doing different things very well, it is always a compromise no matter what you get. My initial thought when reading your post was the one of the 230's made by the japanese but its not the only option and you are right in thinking that you may out grow its abilities. OTOH they are inexpensive to purchase, maintain and they hold their value very well (low risk).

There is some beauty in buying a used bike in good condition that you can ride for a year or two and then sell for almost the same amount of money. Buying a bike that is in good condition though is key, so don't be afraid to take someone who knows with you. If you buy a used bike in good condition for a fair price the good news is you can likely get your money back easily if you don't like it or if you out grow it.

Here are the bikes you listed and my thoughts.

TTR-230 Is just a bigger version of what you are riding, bigger wheels, more power definite upgrade. These bikes are easy to maintain and you can easily find them. It's not the most exciting though.

KDX-200 An absolutely superb machine for many riders, there are folks who raced them with much success, they are durable and give you a higher level of performance in every aspect than the TTR, better suspension, brakes, power everything is at a higher level and it will need a bit more maintenance. Keep in mind this is a two stroke trail bike so the power will feel different, hopefully you already know the difference if not just ask. Like you said though good luck finding one.

YZ 125 - Hold on to your britches if you've never ridden a 125 two stroke, it doesn't make power like the KLX or TTR, the power comes on suddenly in a very strong way, you could even call it violent if you've only ridden small bore 4 strokes. But, these bikes can be ridden at a very high level if you've got the skills. Truly though I think you would prefer the KDX or TTR 230 for your next bike, then maybe the 125 mx bike.

You may also consider

KTM 200EXC/MXC - this bike is like a blend of the KDX and YZ though it makes the most power. It will be easier to ride than the YZ since the power is smoother but it makes more power everywhere. The suspension on the KTM will also suit trail riding more so than the YZ. I would make this the bike you get after a TTR 230 or KDX 200.

My vote is YZ 125.

Back east in the woods... Go for the YZ 125. Hook it up for trails and you can still ride a track on it.

Bark busters, quiet pipe, skid plate, etc.

You can get a used one for cheap and when you are over that upgrade to the 250 smoker.

2002 - 2004 should be under 2k. I would spend 1400.00 on the bike and 600 on fresh top end, plastics, and the woods goodies.

thanks for the advice now you guys got me leaning towards the kdx. Im also open to any other suggestions from other manufactures.

thanks for the advice now you guys got me leaning towards the kdx. Im also open to any other suggestions from other manufactures.

KLX300 is similar to the KDX200 except heavier and four stroke. Could be an option if you see one for sale though. There is also the XR400R and XR250R. Reliable as heck but heavier. KTM300 is also a great trail bike with smooth power, but it makes a lot of it. Its kind of like a 250 with the power spread over a wider range. Also pretty expensive around here when I see em.