Sign in to follow this  

Things to look for/ask when looking at '09 CRF 250

Hi all --

I'm in the market for a new woods weapon (coming over from an older 250EXC) and am checking out a few Rs. I'm new to 4strokes but been around bikes for 20+ years.

Aside from general wear and riding the bike, what are some of the key things I should look for/ask when checking out this bike?

Thanks

How hard it has been ridin

How often the oil and air filter were changed

Any motor work done

when was the Last piston

Ask when is the last time the valves were adjusted. If he says they were just adjusted, walk away. Or prepare to do a valve job on your new bike.

ASK him bout rebuilds, parts, if he lies say about one single thing walk away. think if he liesabout a set of say rear wheel bearings. hes more then likely lying bout the motor. also ask what kind of valves are in it. ask him about wehat ype of fuel he ran where he rode, raced, hare scrambles? how many owners if he drives a crappy truck. should be a good chunk of priority then chances are he didnt havem oeny to take care of the crf we all know if you dont treat the crf nice it wont treat you nice.

Ask when is the last time the valves were adjusted. If he says they were just adjusted, walk away. Or prepare to do a valve job on your new bike.

I agree. Sold mine with just under 80hrs and they never once moved. Checked every ten hours from new. Clean air filters are key. Dirt = valve killer

If there's no hour meter on the bike, either he took it off to lie about the hours or didn't care enough to maintain it properly. If he says "changed the oil every ride"..You know it's total BS.

If the clutch cover has no paint left on it..The bike has no less than 50 hrs.

just bought 2 crf250r. here is what i checked:

crank bike cold. if want start cold probably needs valve job. -800

ride bike and check clutch feel to see if needs new one. -200

change gears...change smoothly? if not dont buy

take bike stand

spin wheels for wobble and flat spots. -300

wheels dont spin freely....maybe bearings. -50

grab rear wheel....any play? bearings. -100

check break pads. -50

check spokes...ant bent or seized? -50 per tire

check sprocket teeth. -100

check rads for crushing, warping or linking. -200

check engine case for cracks or fine. leaks dont buy

look at sub frame from rear....straight? exhaust rubbing tire? -200

check fork seals...any signs of leakage. -100

Thanks all -- great advice! I used all the advice and bought an '09 earlier this week. Can't wait to get out and hammer the trails

Having had both a 09 and 10 I would recommend holding out for a 10.

The 09 carbs are just way too finicky.

The 10 is much more reliable.

Thanks all -- great advice! I used all the advice and bought an '09 earlier this week. Can't wait to get out and hammer the trails

You will be happy with it. Get your jetting dialed in and you will be good to go. :bonk:

Do not get wrapped around the axle for wear out items such as chain and sprockets, grips brake pads and such. These items do add flare to a "used" dirt bike, however they can easily be replaced with what you want and will give you room to work on getting the bike at a better price. Look for clean bikes, check the motor out, clutch engagement. I do change the oil after every ride and will show you the drawer full of new oil filters and the multiple jugs of rotela oil in the shop.

Just keep this in mind. It is a used dirt bike. It is a toy and not a tool or primary mode of transportation. If someone is selling one think about why they are selling it and make sure you ask.

I found a "like new" Honda CR85 expert for 1,500. Guy need to sell fast. Claimed he bought it for his wife and need to sell.

Turned out he had a wife that was ready to go into labor at any time when I showed up to buy the bike. Bike was near perfect.

On the other hand bought a 99 YZ 125 back in 02. Looked great, had the new renthal bars and sprockets with the Yamaha of Troy graphics on it. Looked good. Till it needed everything after just one ride. Oh well I sold it and broke even.

Good luck and I hope you find what your looking for.