Sign in to follow this  

Tubless System, DIY?

Just throwing this out there for those of us who like to DIY. If I had the parts laying around i'd try it (riding seasons pretty much over here). The tubeless system mainly consists of, #1- 18" high pressure inner bladder(tube), #2- 18" RED inner liner, #3- rim lock with tire air valve(Look at their site for pics). I've only seen pics online, so maybe I'm missing something.

#1- The inner bladder, tube is only $10.95 from tubeless, would a 18" bicycle hd tube work, or just buy theirs.

#2- 18" RED inner liner,$36, could you not use a 18" bicycle tire for the liner, then cut a hole for the tire air valve rim lock. You need to pump it up to 100psi, in their instructions, so maybe this is a problem.

#3- The tire air valve rim lock. This would be the tricky part to make, but not that hard if you have some 1/4" aluminum plate stock or work at a machine shop. (If you could make this part, you can buy the inner bladder and liner for $50). Get a long tubeless air valve(for tubeless rims, maybe a truck) with threads the whole length, drill a hole in the 1/4" aluminum plate, install the air valve through the plate and the hole in the bicycle tire, use a rubber gasket or some silicone sealer with a washer or both, to make this air tight. Since the inner tube has to go around only one side of the valve stem, you need to make a brace for the other side out of plastic or maybe wood and put a piece of hose over the valve stem to stop if from wearing a hole in the tube. Use some Gorilla duct tape to cover the spoke nipples..

This system is supposed to seal at the inner bicycle tire(outer) bead against the outer motorcycle tire inner bead, not the spoke nipples, so the motorcycle tire holds air, maybe add some slime. The inner bike tire, at 100psi is now pushing against the whole circumference of the outer tire against the rim acting like a rim lock the whole way around allowing you to run lower psi's and no tube to pinch.

Edited by zx12r

the inner bladder is much thicker than a normal tube, use theirs

115-120psi I think on the inner

the inner bladder is much thicker than a normal tube, use theirs

115-120psi I think on the inner

Yea, thats the way to go, with their inner bladder. Do you think a bicycle tire as the inner liner would work? (or to many psi's)

The system has a huge rim lock too.

This is the part you can't buy. Would it be that hard to make?

Yea, thats the way to go, with their inner bladder. Do you think a bicycle tire as the inner liner would work? (or to many psi's)

Making the hollow, valve stem holding bolt would be past the average guy to make at home. If you could make it than you need to stake it through the bicycle tire with the steel plate for the rim lock. + have the thing air tight too.

A tool maker could do it but to pay someone or buy and make the tools to do it. IMO cheeper to buy a used one. Some guy's don't like them so they sell them.

Bicycle tube would not work. If you've ever inflated a bike tube outside of the tire, it will expand to a huge degree with a low pressure. The tire and wheel give the tube to structure it needs to hold the volume constant while increasing the pressure of such a thin tube. If you used a bike tube, it would inflate until it touched to tire or broke, so it's not really a good idea. The tube they use can hold the air volume down on it's own, because it's hella strong. Hope this helps.

Making the hollow, valve stem holding bolt would be past the average guy to make at home. If you could make it than you need to stake it through the bicycle tire with the steel plate for the rim lock. + have the thing air tight too.

I was thinking of using a store bought valve stem made for tubeless truck rims. it would have to be at least twice as long as a regular valve stem and have threads the whole way.

Bicycle tube would not work. If you've ever inflated a bike tube outside of the tire, it will expand to a huge degree with a low pressure.

But the tube (would be) inside a bicycle tire inside of the motorcycle tire (like the tubliss system) they call it the "red inner liner". For the tube I would just buy theirs.

I think you would have a very hard time making a bicycle tire act like the "red liner" and seal the tire to the rim airtight. I have the tubliss system front and rear and from seeing the parts in person this is my opinion.

I think you would have a very hard time making a bicycle tire act like the "red liner" and seal the tire to the rim airtight. I have the tubliss system front and rear and from seeing the parts in person this is my opinion.

Yea, the more I read, the more I realize it would be hard to make it work. I've had people say they have had a hard time with the real tubliss system and went back to tubes.

Not trying to be a killjoy but messing about trying to make a makeshift tubeless system seems a little to me like playing Russian Roulette.

Your life is worth much more than trying to save a few dollars.

Yea, the more I read, the more I realize it would be hard to make it work. I've had people say they have had a hard time with the real tubliss system and went back to tubes.

What HARD TIME did they have with the TuBliss System?

What HARD TIME did they have with the TuBliss System?

Some guy's just don't like anything different. I ride with a guy who didn't like them and sold his.

If you don't check your air every time you ride, 1 time in the day, you can have problems. IMO you need to buy a bicycle pump with a gage to fill the inner tube so you don't loose to much air checking the pressure.

I have a set and I like them but I'm not sure they are worth the money for me.