Ktm 500/450 exc/xcw efi issues resolved

I recently bought a 2012 500exc as a trail bike and was having a lot of issues with it. It was overheating in tight single track, flaming out, had really poor throttle response and was in general running like complete turd. Needless to say I was pretty pissed about this as I've never had an issue like this with any of my bikes and least of all my KTM's. I took it to my local KTM guy who is the best I've ever had work on my bikes. I go there get my bike back and it's absolutely perfect so I asked him what my options were and what would be the best way to go for what I want to do. I originally wanted to do a JD juice box or something like that but I guess none of them really work like a Power Commander. I ended Having the first PCV put in my bike and the bike runs great now. Took a long time to map it out, much longer then any other bike I've had done. I guess at some points the AFR was over 15.3:1 which is just ridiculous!!!!

Installed on the bike:

393206_333911366623110_100000127470096_1509355_414363370_n.jpg

Stock reading on the dyno: 14.3 afr!!!!

387268_334369153243998_100000127470096_1510634_1810376564_n.jpg

Bike now runs perfect. I've ridden about 12 hours since having it done and it's been great none of the issues I had before.

Other notes:

Stock exhaust

Stock airfilter

No mods besides the PCV

They are also offering them for sale now. You can find them on ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190614543546?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Any questions should really be directed to them but I'll answer what I can or find out. Can't wait for the weekend to ride it again. Such a big difference.

It's 13 to 13.3 across the board pretty much iirc. I lost my dyno sheet with it on there so I'm gonna go back within the next few days and get another.

I recently bought a 2012 500exc as a trail bike and was having a lot of issues with it. It was overheating in tight single track, flaming out, had really poor throttle response and was in general running like complete turd. Needless to say I was pretty pissed about this as I've never had an issue like this with any of my bikes and least of all my KTM's. I took it to my local KTM guy who is the best I've ever had work on my bikes. I go there get my bike back and it's absolutely perfect so I asked him what my options were and what would be the best way to go for what I want to do. I originally wanted to do a JD juice box or something like that but I guess none of them really work like a Power Commander. I ended Having the first PCV put in my bike and the bike runs great now. Took a long time to map it out, much longer then any other bike I've had done. I guess at some points the AFR was over 15.3:1 which is just ridiculous!!!!

Installed on the bike:

393206_333911366623110_100000127470096_1509355_414363370_n.jpg

Stock reading on the dyno: 14.3 afr!!!!

387268_334369153243998_100000127470096_1510634_1810376564_n.jpg

Bike now runs perfect. I've ridden about 12 hours since having it done and it's been great none of the issues I had before.

Other notes:

Stock exhaust

Stock airfilter

No mods besides the PCV

They are also offering them for sale now. You can find them on ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190614543546?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Any questions should really be directed to them but I'll answer what I can or find out. Can't wait for the weekend to ride it again. Such a big difference.

Dang $11,000 bike then another 500 for the p/c plus all the other farkles man this new bikes getting pricey!better hold onto my 08 450 exc.:bonk:

• Like 1

Yep. When I first heard about these issues I thought they were made up and people were over exaggerating it a ton. As it turns out they weren't sadly. Had I known I woulda bought another 530 or something like that. Maybe the Berg? They use a different EFI system though I guess cause there numbers are much lower. Oh well live and learn. Now the bikes great and I'm happy. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do this I like do with all my streetbikes.

The dealer can load the XCW map on the EXC. This will allow you to use the User Setting Tool to adjust timing and fuel trim.

Part #: 69029096140 List: $499.00 You should be able to get up to 25% or so off which drops it to $375.00

http://www.ktm.com/uploads/media/69029096140en_OM.pdf

Now you have complete control over your machine.

That's close and to be honest it would've gotten me part of the way there but my guy was saying that in some places he added over 60% more fuel. That's outside the range of adjustment for that system after some quick reading. I also don't like the dealer. My mechanic used to be a KTM dealer but the economy and Clear Creek closing amongst other things just killed his dealership so now he's doing a shop and gone back to what he does best which is race motors, tuning and service.

The dealer can load the XCW map on the EXC. This will allow you to use the User Setting Tool to adjust timing and fuel trim.

Part #: 69029096140 List: $499.00 You should be able to get up to 25% or so off which drops it to $375.00

http://www.ktm.com/uploads/media/69029096140en_OM.pdf

Now you have complete control over your machine.

The question is will the dealers in the gestapo state of california remap the exc-f to xc-w?Be curious to see how thats going to fly?Every other state it's prolly no problem though?

Exactly. I'd be more then willing to go that route but my mechanic assured this is the bet route and he is a goldmine for info on this and doing it all. The fact that it was that lean tells me that no factory map would've helped. Especialy not here in Cali. I have heard of people buying the XCW ECU but I imagine that it's pretty close to the same if not exactly the same. Can't be too different same motor and everything.

Exactly. I'd be more then willing to go that route but my mechanic assured this is the bet route and he is a goldmine for info on this and doing it all. The fact that it was that lean tells me that no factory map would've helped. Especialy not here in Cali. I have heard of people buying the XCW ECU but I imagine that it's pretty close to the same if not exactly the same. Can't be too different same motor and everything.

The ECUs are identical except for the mapping. I'm guessing the actual dealer tool can adjust a much wider range than the user tool but I haven't seen the unit.

The dealer can load either the EXC or XCW map depending on application.

Interesting. However this way I'm legal. From my understanding of the law which is bad to very bad to good depending on the issue running XCW parts is illegal since it's not approved for sale in Cali as far as I know. Although it could be a red sticker bike I guess I haven't bothered to look into it. My mechanic also has all the dealers tools and I'm sure he could get the newest stuff as well since he has had a very long relationship with KTM and their racing efforts as well.

I'd definitely have to learn more about all that until I can comment accurately and with assurance in what I say.

from what I've read the xcw map is green sticker lean, and the exc map is epa highway legal leaner, not the same map

seen this happen with other "legal" FI bikes, you pay big bucks then buy a programmer and dyno time to get it to run right, then it sucks so much fuel you pay more big bucks for a tank with fuel pump .

I

So far my mileage hasn't been too bad. It's worse but not much. I'm using way less throttle then before and when I'm on it it's much shorter cause the bike moves now. I will more then likely do a bigger tank in the future but I need to look at where I want to take this bike and if it's required.

good to hear, wasn't ragging on your new bike sorry. Read good reviews of the 500 and 350 excs running fine stock, but wondered if they ever got them hot in the tight stuff.

Not worried about it at all. Quite honestly I feel that people should rag on it more. I'm using it as intended and not abusing it so the fact that it's this bad is unacceptable to me. I'm also getting convinced that a bigger tank won't be necessary for me. I'm not doing rides that are too long or won't be able to get gas. I may need a little more but not a lot.

There must be a difference between individual ’12 500 EXC’s. Mine ran perfectly since new in stock condition with the exception of some closed throttle backfiring before removal of the air injection stuff.

With the addition of a JD PS, an FMF 4.1, and a Sicass Racing “Wild” mapping plug using the stock maps, it is a power monster with perfect throttle response.

Weird.

There probably is some difference. Where in Cali are you? I run at sea level and cold temps near the Monterey penn. That will make a difference as well. The stock exhaust also leads me to believe that it's holding the bike back in a lot of ways. The plug and plays have never really worked nicely for me either. I always see bad results. Better then stock typically but still not at the level I want. I'm thinking Full akro and 3.5ish gallon tank and then suspension and the bike is done. Although the bike feels great as is suspension wise.

2012 500 XC-W with the JD 6X tuner. I took out the in line fuel filter (and I was told there is another one right behind the injector) and the thing is the smoothest, most powerful bike with the best handling I have ever ridden. I switched bikes with a guy on with a 300 the other day. We rode about 10 miles of tight single track. We group up and he starts yelling - "I can't believe how light this thing is!" This is a guy jumping off a 300 and on to a 500 electric start 4 stroke. He's going on and on about how he wants a 4 stroke now and blah blah. The thing is incredible and mine runs perfect with the JD box.

Interesting. Buddy has a 2012 300 that I'm gonna try out for a little while he try's mine. The bike isn't lighter then the last bike but it does feel like it. Mine was 265# with half a tank. My 530 before the sumo switch was the same iirc. Possibly a little less.