Sign in to follow this  

150F idle issue

I just bought an 06' 150f for my son. The bike starts no problem but the idle goes up and down on its own. The bike is very clean but I know that it sat for a year or two. I put new gas in it but havent done anything else. Any suggestions on what would cause the idle to do this?

partially clogged pilot jet maybe, if it sat for a year, it probably needs to have the carb cleaned, or you can try putting some seafoam in the gas and run it for a while, it might clean the crap out.

If it goes up and down rhythmically, it is likely the float valve is sticking. I'd pull the carb and clean it thoroughly - likely have algae growth or similar in there (from the alcohol in the fuel) - you will see a yellow green fuzz. Only use the smallest of wires to slip into the pilot jet so you don't scratch it wider - which is possible if you use a drill bit. Good father-son project - take about 2 hours including the 'lessons' you provide your son.

Thanks for the info. It probably is a quick fix and i like the idea of the father/son project.

You can get seafoam at any kragen, orielly, or napa auto parts, pep boys too, its a meduim size white metal can, just ask them at the counter, they'll point you in the right way.

Seafoam is good after you clean the carb. It would not loosen up the crud for me. $9.99/pint

There are free manuals on here somewhere, 03-05, same process of cleaning for 06

X2 My sisters does that too!

I just bought an 06' 150f for my son. The bike starts no problem but the idle goes up and down on its own. The bike is very clean but I know that it sat for a year or two. I put new gas in it but havent done anything else. Any suggestions on what would cause the idle to do this?