Sign in to follow this  

Is this the right bike?

I am looking at a 2006 YZ250F for my Son. It is an aniversary edition and has only 20hrs on it and you could litterally eat off any part of it. It was listed for 2900 but I got him down to 2600. What do you think? Are there any known issues with this model/year?

What should I look for when I go look at it?My son is almost 15 and is 5'7" tall , he is on a klx140l that is getting to small but I am not sure he is ready for a 250. Any opinions? I don't want him getting hurt on a bike that's too big. By the way, mostley trail riding/single track woods ,rocks,hills of the northeast.

Edited by mercman68

Mercman....I think it depends on what type of rider he is. When my son was 14-15 we moved up from a Honda CRF150F (very close to a KLX140L) to a Yamaha WR250F. I rode several YZ250's before buying the more forgiving wide-ratio bike. I really thought for trail riding, that the YZ250 was was geared too high in 1st gear and he would have to ride it too aggressively (i.e. this is the problem with close ratio transmission motocross bikes) on the trail especially on the difficult rocky stuff.

The WR250 has easily double the power of the aircooled bike you are moving from, but can be ridden on the trails slowly and carefully if need be. The elec start (which he has currently) is also a nice feature for trail riding that is available on the WR but not the YZ. In addition, the WR comes with a throttle stop that can be modified or replaced by the YZ throttle stop to give it more power when the time is right. There are a number of other free or low cost mods to the WR250F to open it up a bit.

You should be able to find a low hour '06 WR250F for about the same price. The '06 and earlier WR's are steel framed. The '07 and later WR's are aluminum framed. I frankly like the steel frame better as there is more room to work on it than the aluminum.

My youngest son I moved from a CRF80F to a YZ85 (high strung motocross bike) and I have regretted it. He is now scared to ride it and doesnt even want to ride motorcyceles anymore (I cant even get him to go back to something like the KLX140L). Pick a bike that is an easy transition, but can challenge him when he begins to get comfortable with it.

when i was 15 i was riding an 81 xr500r :bonk: if i were you i would probably get him that 250 you were looking at, or if i didnt want to spend to much money on parts when the thing blows a piston, while sacrificing a little more time for a little bit more maintanance, i would get a 125. he is a ideal size for a 125 if you dont want him to get hurt, and he sure would have a heck of alot more fun then on a boring 250f. does he know much about bikes? do his buddies ride or does he just ride with you? if he has friends his age that are riding, see what they are riding to get an idea of what kids his age are on, and also ask him what he would like (realisticly). only he really knows what his skill level is and what he can handle

It has not been done ,but I called my local Dealer and there is no expiration on the Bulletin and they said it could still be done at no charge.

Mercman....I think it depends on what type of rider he is. When my son was 14-15 we moved up from a Honda CRF150F (very close to a KLX140L) to a Yamaha WR250F. I rode several YZ250's before buying the more forgiving wide-ratio bike. I really thought for trail riding, that the YZ250 was was geared too high in 1st gear and he would have to ride it too aggressively (i.e. this is the problem with close ratio transmission motocross bikes) on the trail especially on the difficult rocky stuff.

The WR250 has easily double the power of the aircooled bike you are moving from, but can be ridden on the trails slowly and carefully if need be. The elec start (which he has currently) is also a nice feature for trail riding that is available on the WR but not the YZ. In addition, the WR comes with a throttle stop that can be modified or replaced by the YZ throttle stop to give it more power when the time is right. There are a number of other free or low cost mods to the WR250F to open it up a bit.

You should be able to find a low hour '06 WR250F for about the same price. The '06 and earlier WR's are steel framed. The '07 and later WR's are aluminum framed. I frankly like the steel frame better as there is more room to work on it than the aluminum.

My youngest son I moved from a CRF80F to a YZ85 (high strung motocross bike) and I have regretted it. He is now scared to ride it and doesnt even want to ride motorcyceles anymore (I cant even get him to go back to something like the KLX140L). Pick a bike that is an easy transition, but can challenge him when he begins to get comfortable with it.

I agree the wr would be a better bike for him but they are really hard to find around here. Everyone holds on to them and if they do sell it's usually gone before you can pick up the phone.Same goes for the crf250x which is what I would really like to get him.:bonk: