Sign in to follow this  

small bearing removal

anyone have any good ideas on removing the small water pump and governor bearings in the engine case? i dont want to run a screw and slide hammer them out. dont want to cause possible damage. to be clear, im refering the the case and not the inner clutch cover. both bearings are bad and im not sure the best way to tackle them.

Heat the case up to around 250 degrees then with welding gloves on take the case and slap it down on a solid piece of wood (I use my wood splitting chopping block) and most of the time the bearings fall out. Make it hit the wood as flat as you can. I have used this technique many times.

Ed

Small allen wrench grind down the short side to about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. Clamp onto the allen wrench (other end) with vise grips heat the case a good bit and then smack the end of the vise grips where it's clamped onto the allen wrench. Did this just last week after the govenor ate up the bearing.

I used the heat trick on my case and it worked only I used a heatgun.I was also doing the water pump and govenor bearings but had to use the dremmel with a diamond tip to cut the bearing to get the other.

I use the motion pro blind bearing removal tool, works great, little spendy but will last a lifetime.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0292/

they are out of thier f@kin minds sometimes. $500+ dollars for a seal driver set, $250 for a crank tool set, and no $230 for blind bearing puller. harbor freight- $30 or even a snap on or something would be cheaper.