Sign in to follow this  

KLX250S Stalling when shifted into gear

Hey there thumpers. Wondering if someone can help me with a troubling problem I'm having with my '09 KLX250S. Unfortunately, I had an accident on the road the other week... lost traction with the rear end on some black ice or something and went straight down, fell to the left side. Good news is that I literally didn't get a scratch or bruise on me, and somehow the only single scratch on the bike is on the plastic portion on my left bark buster. Unbelievable that neither the bike or I were hit by a car (this was in heavy traffic, ~35mph).

The bike is starting up and idling absolutely fine in neutral... but when I kick the thing into gear (with the clutch engaged of course), it stalls instantly. My first thought was that the clutch cable had been knocked around in a way that was making it unable to actually engage the clutch... but the cable is pulling just fine, with normal resistance. When it stalls, it's a rather rough stall, as if it were just being mashed into gear at idle without the clutch engaged.

What are your thoughts? I really can't see how that accident caused this to happen... the bike is well capable of handling that kind of abuse, simply tipping over to the side on asphalt basically. I keep thinking it must be a clutch issue, but can anyone think of other causes? Are there any automatic kill circuits that I'm unaware of, that might have been screwed up or knocked loose during the crash?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hey there thumpers. Wondering if someone can help me with a troubling problem I'm having with my '09 KLX250S. Unfortunately, I had an accident on the road the other week... lost traction with the rear end on some black ice or something and went straight down, fell to the left side. Good news is that I literally didn't get a scratch or bruise on me, and somehow the only single scratch on the bike is on the plastic portion on my left bark buster. Unbelievable that neither the bike or I were hit by a car (this was in heavy traffic, ~35mph).

The bike is starting up and idling absolutely fine in neutral... but when I kick the thing into gear (with the clutch engaged of course), it stalls instantly. My first thought was that the clutch cable had been knocked around in a way that was making it unable to actually engage the clutch... but the cable is pulling just fine, with normal resistance. When it stalls, it's a rather rough stall, as if it were just being mashed into gear at idle without the clutch engaged.

What are your thoughts? I really can't see how that accident caused this to happen... the bike is well capable of handling that kind of abuse, simply tipping over to the side on asphalt basically. I keep thinking it must be a clutch issue, but can anyone think of other causes? Are there any automatic kill circuits that I'm unaware of, that might have been screwed up or knocked loose during the crash?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I believe there is also an engine kill switch on the side stand. Maybe that got out of alignment in the fall.

I believe there is also an engine kill switch on the side stand. Maybe that got out of alignment in the fall.

I'll bet you are correct in it being the sidestand "safety switch" malfunction. :bonk:

I'm an idiot... even though I had checked to see if the automatic kill switch on the sidestand had been knocked loose or something, I must have missed it the first time. It looked like it had been jostled in a way that was making it stay closed all the time, as if the sidestand were always down. Gotta love those simple fixes though!

My road bike's sidestand switch is intact, but, my two dual-sport bikes have the switch eliminated entirely...also the clutch switch is eliminated. In my mind, these aren't "safety switches" on dirt bikes.

Yep I was stubborn for about 3 years, and finally year before last I took the side stand switch out of the circuit. Only high sided once from not putting up the kickstand, right in front of some folks at the post office...that was embarrassing. LOL