Need Help!!! Time to upgrade!!!

I have a 2005 Yamaha TTR 230, nice bike to learn on and all but I want a little more power. I am mainly just trail riding and riding at the sand dunes in South Ga. The main thing is I want something with low maintence and I dont wanna have to worry about valves and putting it in the shop all the time. Wanna stay with a 4stroke.

Whats yalls opinions, I was thinkin of a 250 or something.

maybe look for an older xr, a 350 or 500, they dont have quite the power of the new bikes, so dont be turned off just because of the big engine (i got my 500 when i was 15) they are perfect for trail riding and they are bulletproof... those xr engines last forever. you will almost never have it in the shop.

if you want something newer though i would go for a crf 250f or if you dont have a very restrictive budget a brand new 250f

or if you want a bike you wont grow out of again i would get a ktm sx 350, ive heard alot of good things about them

If you buy any 4 stroke, your going to have valves. Checking them will be a part of owning it. Maybe a WR 250f would be a good bike, they have a solid track record of reliabilty. As long as you keep up on maintenance, the bike will run forever!

have not had to check valves/timing on my xr once yet

if it were me getting a new bike i would get something a bit older, those old bikes were meant to last, and your not going to be winning any ama nationals or anything anytime soon i assume. but not too old! my opinion would be to try to find a mid 90's bike

well imma a 2 stroke man and id go 250 2t, like a exc or xc KTM, but if you want a fourstroke and price isnt an issue i loved riding a KTM 350 xc-f

good advice i got to take one for a spin also and it was pretty sweet :thumbsup:has perfect power for someone who might feel the 450 too much but a 250 not enough. but you also have a good piont with 2 strokes, you will spend alot less money rebuilding a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke (sometimes a 4 can go into the thousands when blown up) a 2 will rarely cost more than 500 in the worst situations

for $3k you can find a decent early 2000's 250f with some mods on it, i would get a crf, as it seems that they are the most popular and can put out the most power for that class. also i have personally always loved hondas, never had any problems with them, mine have all run forever with no problems and i think they have some decent attention to detail over at honda

well, if you don't want to worry about maintenance, or valves, then you better stay air cooled with a 4 stroke.

I started back on a TTR 250. E start, a little more power than you have now, and a little better susp.

I rode a WR for 3 years, stone cold reliable and never had to do a thing to it. But, I bought it new. With a used liquid cooled, the risk runs up a good deal as you don't really know what you are getting until you tear into it.

2 stroke is really the only way you can come out well even if you have to rebuild a topend. Cheap, simple, have good power, and can be had cheaper than the liquid cooled 4 strokes.

Thanks again guys, some really good info here. I may keep an eye out for a good 2stroke. My cousins are big into MX bikes and they were telling me that if I got a 2stroke he could rebuild it with no problem and alot cheaper than a 4stroke.

yeh your cousin is right. a 2 stroke top end kit usually runs about 100- 200, and you can probably do all the work yourself, a 4 stroke will generally be about 250-450 for the kit, and you probably will be completely lost once you start trying to take it apart, which will lead to shop work, which leads to less money in pocket....

Edited by younggunz