Sign in to follow this  

Valve stacks

Has any one here re-valved there own suspension. I am looking for some stacks for my 09. I have some in mind but would like to see what others are doing. I'm 6', 190 #, I ride mostly MX. I would say aggressive intermediate rider.

Thanks

What kind of feel are you after? Did you get stiffer springs? I am 200lbs and have an 11. I did put 1 .50kg spring up front and the stock 5.8 on the rear. The 05-09 shocks are a bit different than the 10-12 shocks,because of the piston band.

Here is what your forks stack looks like:

http://mx-tech.com/downloads/2009showasettings

Remove the 18mm face shim and it will stiffen across the board.

Rear shock:

comp:

44.25 8x

30.30 2x

The shock is stiff to begin with. If you want more bleed, swapping the 44.25 with 44.20 would ligthen it up. Same with the other shims-just go thinner. Just the opposite-using a .30 or .35 in place of a .20 or .25 thick shim will get you more resistance. The valving "stacks" are pretty darn good on the RMZs I have ridden. Some guys will complain about them being harsh or blowing through the stroke,but the bikes seem to like heavy fork springs to get a plush and controlled action. I thought the rear shock was shit until I got the forks operating correctly.

Last summer it felt soft and when coming out of corners it seemed to wallow. I'm looking to firm up the front when taking big hits. Overall I want a stiffer setup, ride higher in the stroke but still soak up small chop/braking bumps. I can't open the link above.

sounds like you need to raise the oil. Add 10cc at a time through the bleed screw. How much do you weigh and when was the last tie suspension was serviced? How many hours on the suspension?

Not sure about the last time the suspension was serviced. Right now I'm 185, my weight fluctuates about 15 pounds. I think the stock .47 springs will work for me. I'm replacing the seals and bushings. I'm using 5w golden spectro fork oil.

Not sure about the last time the suspension was serviced. Right now I'm 185, my weight fluctuates about 15 pounds. I think the stock .47 springs will work for me. I'm replacing the seals and bushings. I'm using 5w golden spectro fork oil.

springs are good. which spectro 5wt? they have standard,light and ultra light. I would recommend the standard if you want to stiffen things up. Replacing the fluid,new bushings and seals could give a complete new feel. I would definitely rebuild the shock also. At 50 hours,fluids are pretty much spent if you ride hard. If hours are over 100- a rebuild on the cartridge would be good. A good way to start before a revalve is to just take averything apart and inspect it. I polish eveything up,make sure there are no bent/cupped shims,torque everything and focus on getting everything bled properly. My 2011 came from the factory with a half ounce more fluid in one fork than the other. Neither fork was properly bled and the shock only had 100psi. So,by just checking everything and experimenting with things you can accomplish alot. After I serviced my RMZ suspension-it became much more plush and balanced. I don't even see a need at this point in changing the valving-that is how much of a difference it makes.

The bottle of spectro says 85/150 5wt. I got my bushings today so I will just put every thing back together and see what I end up with. I do remember the previous owner saying he had only 13 hrs on the bike. I'm not sure; the fork oil had a lot of grey/black in it and the larger of the bushings shows wear. Thanks for all the help.

th_1210112212a.jpg

Edited by Michigan_Rider