Sign in to follow this  

1996 CR125. Should I buy it?

Hey guys, I have a yz250f but i want an older 2 stroke for playing around on. I have come across this 1996 CR125 for sale. It has been stored under a tarp for the last year and still runs but needs a few new things like exhaust gasket to be able to ride. The guy wants $1500 for it, and I'm going down to have a look tonight at it. Has anyone got any suggestions on what to look for and whether it sounds like a reasonable buy? are these bikes good? thanks in advance

If it was $1500 American, i'd probably keep walking in favor of something more current --- but i don't know what the exchange rate is

Here, i would think a 16 year old 125 would have to be impeccable to be worth more than $800 - $1000

yeah it is overpriced. Does anyone know what these bikes are like. are they as fast as modern 125s? and are they compatible with modern parts?

i would say this guy is one of the guys who either

a) claims it was owned by a professional (which by the way dosent mean jack when it comes to pricing)

:bonk: is one of the "my bike flys by every other 125 or 250 ive ever gone against" guys

or

c) he claims the bike has is a fully equiped race bike with over what the bike is worth put into parts to make it better

show up and offer him $700 right off the bat and see where you get

dont buy it for more than $1000

yeah, monetary value nomatter where you are is all relative.

1500 $$ is steep here too!! around 1000 isnt bad up to 1200 still okay if and only if its still a runner with not alot of needed uther than a topend and other minors.

as far as a that year being a GOOD bike? Yes, they were in a lineup of cr125s that were some of the best that honda had to offer.

we pik'd up a 93 put a rebuild on top n bottom and new bearings/seals thru-out. myt son loves it. So do I! its got plenty of power/super reliable handles great!

he rides with kids that have newer 2000+ bikes and has NO prob staying with'em.

from what i've heard/read, the the early 2000 cr125 were not so great. but i have just heard/read this. it is not from personal exp.

australian bikes arnt cheap

You are dead right with that one. It is below average for Australian bike prices but probably still overpriced for the condition. I am glad that they are good bikes, I had heard that 92-97 were among some of the best. I will check it out tonight and hopefully get it cheaper (I won't be buying it at all if it is in too poorer condition).

argclh6670, did you have any trouble finding the parts you need to rebuild it? and can newer parts fit on them easily?

younggunz, he seems like a genuine guy who bought it and lost interest in riding and the bike was then left neglected for 12 months.

KX125cc1221, I will have lots of new things done to it when it has its next rebuild, It has just gone in to have a service with new tyres, grips, chain, sprockets and a heap of other things

I am not sure of pricing in Australia, so i won't comment on that.

As far as the bike goes, it is a good one. It was toward the end of the steel framed CRs, so Honda had it dialed in. The motor was excellent -- one of the best honda 125 motors ever made. Just assume it will need a new top end and suspension rebuild. With all that done, it should easily keep up with the newer bikes. That bike is as fast as my 2002 RM125 (maybe faster) and I don't have any problems keeping up with new bikes (2 or 4 stroke) on the track.

I bought it, got it a little cheaper. It needs new fork seals, front tire and exhaust gasket and i'm also going to respray the plastics back to original colors. It has had a rebuild a few years ago and has barely been used since. The previous owner also ran the fuel ratio at 25:1 so it should have lasted fairly well inside. Thanks for the help. I can't wait until it's finished and ready to ride.

I bought it, got it a little cheaper. It needs new fork seals, front tire and exhaust gasket and i'm also going to respray the plastics back to original colors. It has had a rebuild a few years ago and has barely been used since. The previous owner also ran the fuel ratio at 25:1 so it should have lasted fairly well inside. Thanks for the help. I can't wait until it's finished and ready to ride.

NICE!, I find a large % people on this forum seem to be quite ethnocentric numbnuts. The 96 is great bike, enjoy!