Sign in to follow this  

My KX125 keeps fouling plugs.

I recently bought a 05 kx125 and took it to the trails for the first time last weekend. I rebuilt the top end the week before and it runs great. After our first round through the trails we stopped for a water break and then my buddy wanted to take it for a spin. He took off and as soon as he shifted to second it loses power and dies, so we pop in a fresh plug and it runs again. The next day I'm messing around in a field with it and it does the same thing again. Has anyone else had this issue? Any good advice will be very appreciated.

lean the jets. or yo may possibly have a leaking head after the rebuild. Did you by chance true the surface of the head?

03-05 125's are jetted extremely rich, stock. When I first got my sons 03, it would foul the plug as soon as you lugged it around and not on the pipe.

I took the easy way out, my 99 would do the exact same thing. I couldn't even get 10 minutes before it would foul. I switched to a hotter plug, 9 to an 8. I haven't fouled a plug since early summer, wether I lug it a bit or not. Keep us posted.

Thanks guys. Sappers, I didn't bother checking the head. This bike has real low hours and ran great when I bought it recently. I'm almost sure it's due to lugging it a bit. I know 2 strokes like it on the pipe but I find it impossible to do this always, of course, I am a newbie! I will keep you all posted as soon as i find something out.

On my -07 kx 125 the original jetting is way too rich.

I run a #370 main and a #35 pilot.

On my -07 kx 125 the original jetting is way too rich.

I run a #370 main and a #35 pilot.

thats what I have in ours & clip on top notch. took the sputter out and hits hard.

I took the easy way out, my 99 would do the exact same thing. I couldn't even get 10 minutes before it would foul. I switched to a hotter plug, 9 to an 8. I haven't fouled a plug since early summer, wether I lug it a bit or not. Keep us posted.

Oddly enough I just happened to have had a hotter plug so I put it in. I'm two rides in and no problems. Thanks

fixing the fouling issue doesnt actually fix the problem, all you will do in time is clog the KIPS and make your exhaust a mess. you need to rejet, and plus it will give you more power and will just run better.

the 05 I just picked up seems to want to load up pretty quickly just putting around my parking lot. I'm riding some somewhat fast/wide trails tonight and was going to drop in a 380? Honda dealer is going to rape me $10 for a jet most likely so I just want to lean it out a little for now.