Sign in to follow this  

What 250 2t motor/transmission will fit in my 2000 KX 125 frame?

My winter project will be a 250 2t motor into my 2000 Kx125 frame . What motor and transmission (make and years) will fit into my frame without having to cut and weld the frame? I have the capability to make new motor mounts, so that isnt an issue.

Thank you

there is no way to put any engine in there wtihout adjusting the frame mounts. Not gonna happen.

Honestly its really easy to adjust the mounts i dont know why you are so worried. And if you cant weld, just have someone help you. It should only cost maybe $80 max.

Two things to keep in mind, the front / rear head stay business. KDX's had some in the front and some in the back. The early KX's had them in the front, and later moved the rear in the 2005 time frame.

I put a 2000 KX500 engine in a 2002 KX250. It was an easy job.

My winter project will be a 250 2t motor into my 2000 Kx125 frame . What motor and transmission (make and years) will fit into my frame without having to cut and weld the frame? I have the capability to make new motor mounts, so that isnt an issue.

Thank you

no 250 will fit a 125 frame without hacking out the cradle and fabbing a new one, which essentially makes it a 250 frame.

This is the beauty of the KDX motor--it basically has the cases of a late-80's KX 125, so it's an easy fit into a 125 chassis. True 250s have much larger cases and just won't really fit without a new cradle.

Of course, if you wanted to cheat a little, you could do a big bore on a KDX motor which can bring it into the 240cc neighborhood. That rounds up to 250... :bonk:

why not just buy a 250 frame on ebay an save yourself some time an money on trying to make a 250 fit in a 125 frame.

Kawie

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that i'm thinking I could have squeezed a KX250 engine into the 125 frame I had. I was VERY close to getting my KX500 engine into a 2005 KX125 frame. It was just not going to be quite as clean as I liked it. I'm pretty sure I could have cut off the bottom and front engine tabs and gotten a 250 in there.

As far as cutting the whole cradle out... sounds like a lotta work for not much gain.

IF i was going to get into that whole big mess i'd be looking for a 2008 or 2009 KX250f and putting a late model KX250 two stroke into it.