Sign in to follow this  

polishing stock crf muffler

wet sanding with 600 to 3000 grit sandpaper. After that, use a buffing compound. After that, plan to keep that elbow working, because polishing aluminum on an offroad bike is a pain in the ass.

Thanks for the reply. From what I have found sounds like It is a pain in the ass that's why I have second thoughts about it but it looks so good when done.

I just used Mother's aluminum polish, looks good but you have to re-do it every once and a while. Otherwise it just goes back to the way it used to look.

+1 on the Mothers , it will take a bit of elbow grease , but the outcome is worth it

This is from when i first did my 450X in 06

I did the Muffler (450R muffler), Frame , and Swingarm , Triple Tree's , Clutch Cover , Rear Brake Lever , Water Pump Cover , Skid Plate , Engine Plugs , Radiator Guards , Kick Starter , Aluminum Rear Sprocket

img3448of3.jpg

img3449sa2.jpg

That looks good JimDirt, can you explain the process that got you those results? I'm about to do some polishing on my 09 YZ450F. Has it been a pain to keep it looking good?

I have a couple air buffers , i use them along with Mothers and that is really about it aside from all the elbow grease , i just keep polishing until all the scratches are gone (you do have to sand (wet sand with 220 then 400) to get the Brushed Aluminum look off the swing arms , as that is usually a applied coating with clear (at least on the Honda's it is) , after the buffing , then i use white terry towels with Mothers on them to give the final hand polish , which takes a bit of effort , i spend a lot of time getting the surface as smooth as i can , it holds up and stays shiny a lot longer if you take the time when polishing to make it almost mirror like , when i look at my frame or swingarm and can CLEARLY see myself just as i would looking in a mirror , though slightly distorted because of the angles of the parts , i dont clear coat anything , and it seems to last quite a while , the only thing i have to touch up for is hard water spots after washing the bike , i always make sure i wipe the bike down with a towel after washing it , and where my legs rub on the frame when riding , but it is easily rubbed back out when i clean the bike after each ride

To keep the surfaces fresh and shiny requires little effort to keep it polished , just a little Mothers or Neverdull (its in a silver can , it is cotton wadding with a metal cleaner/polish in it , i have used it for years keeping everything from chrome to aluminum , to clear headlight lenses polished with it (i do the same with Mothers), though it does leave a slight residue that takes a little more effort to polish , you have to use several Terry Towels to get all the residue off to avoid it smearing , overall the mothers is the least amount of work for the upkeep

This is the type of polisher i use

http://www.cornwelltools.com/webcat/products.php?product=CAT300MPK-%252d-3%22-Mini-Polisher-Kit

I would imagine you could use a electric buffer ( i also have one of those) , or you could also use the Mothers PowerBall , attached to a drill (i also have one of those), though it does require more sanding when the surface is rough in the initial stages of smoothing the surface , as it is not as abrasive as the polishing pads on the mini buffer so it wont cut thru the roughness as fast

Here is a closeup

img3450nq7.jpg

Edited by 450XJimDirt

A polished frame looks pretty and all, but for riding it in the dirt it's really not that practical since the first time you go riding, between your boots and the dirt, it would be like rubbing 80 gritt sand paper all over it... But if you don't mind constantly repolishing it, I'd say go ahead in do it if that's your thing...:bonk::thumbsup:

I bought a polishing kit from Harbor Freight, Seems to work good. You do have to wet sand though. I did 400,600,800 and then polish.

A polished frame looks pretty and all, but for riding it in the dirt it's really not that practical since the first time you go riding, between your boots and the dirt, it would be like rubbing 80 gritt sand paper all over it... But if you don't mind constantly repolishing it, I'd say go ahead in do it if that's your thing...:bonk::thumbsup:

You mean dirty like this ?

img2122cl5.jpg

Or this ?

img5669z.jpg

, after both rides , i just hosed it off and wiped it down

That looks awesome all dirty, because it comes clean so easily. My frame is also polished. Takes 30 seconds to touch it up with a buffing wheel.

That place in the first pic looks fun to ride.