Sign in to follow this  

SS oil filter close up

Hey guys, got bored at work so i took a couple of close up pictures of my SS Outlaw oil filter "claimed" to filter 35 microns

filter10x.jpg

10 X zoom

40x.jpg

40 X zoom

49x.jpg

49 X zoom, 66 microns measured (diagonal, Largest diameter of particle possible), ignore the white arrow

49x2.jpg

49 X zoom, 56 microns measured

• Like 2

Makes me want to stick with paper element filters even more. Sometimes(read often), advertising lures people...

Thanks for the pics man. Nice.

T ou au Qc?? Chuis de Mtl. Nice to see Qc ppl on here.

The lesson here is, don’t buy second rate SS filters.

An internet web site does not make you a reputable dealer or supplier, and likely they are just using test data from more reputable manufactures.

Your pics are good :bonk:

Thanks

Care to do it again on a filter from an established source that claims to have actually done testing? Vice just advertise some numbers on a web page?

The other thing I don’t know enough about to know any better is.. Does the photographic or other measurement of a hole in SS mesh equate to what size particle physically flows though that mesh?

filter surface area looks a bit small, it might filter small enough, but once that fills up, then what happens??

I have never been a fan of these, paper filters are much more reliable in my eyes.

Just because the horizontal pieces of metal are 54 microns apart doesn't mean its not filtering down to 35 does it? what about the other pieces that form the weave?

What I'm saying is that I think you haven't measured the smallest distance between metal pieces using your method. I could be wrong.

Also, very cool pictures! :bonk:

Just because the horizontal pieces of metal are 54 microns apart doesn't mean its not filtering down to 35 does it? what about the other pieces that form the weave?

What I'm saying is that I think you haven't measured the smallest distance between metal pieces using your method. I could be wrong.

Also, very cool pictures! :bonk:

You might be on to something, I was thinking about what you said --- wouldn't you need a circumference? Meaning there needs to be more than just one measurement to the equation. Oil isn't one sided it will form what ever shape it needs to to fit through said space. I hope my rambling makes sense. Again just my thoughts I do not have a Mathmatics degree.:smirk:

maybe this could be merged into one of the million oil threads, and really through the folks off a while ?

You might be on to something, I was thinking about what you said --- wouldn't you need a circumference? Meaning there needs to be more than just one measurement to the equation. Oil isn't one sided it will form what ever shape it needs to to fit through said space. I hope my rambling makes sense. Again just my thoughts I do not have a Mathmatics degree.:bonk:

Yeah, its hard to describe really. Essentially you need to take an infinite number of measurements between every point on every piece of metal, and fine the smallest of all of them. That would essentially be how small the filter filters down to. I suspect that the 54 microns in the picture is NOT the smallest of all measurements.

Yeah, its hard to describe really. Essentially you need to take an infinite number of measurements between every point on every piece of metal, and fine the smallest of all of them. That would essentially be how small the filter filters down to. I suspect that the 54 microns in the picture is NOT the smallest of all measurements.

I agree...

I suspect that the 54 microns in the picture is NOT the smallest of all measurements.

So perhaps the claim of 35 microns on this filter isn't all that far off. And as I understand it, the micron rating on a filter is the largest particle it will allow, not the smallest.

stupid thing about oil filters is that you also have to take into account their Efficiency Level for different micron sizes the filter may be able to filter down to 35 microns but be very inefficient at it. what one is better a ss or paper i dont know but i use a ss and change my oil often hopefully that is good enough.

So perhaps the claim of 35 microns on this filter isn't all that far off. And as I understand it, the micron rating on a filter is the largest particle it will allow, not the smallest.

That’s the way it is suppose to be..

And not to forget, the pictures above are of just the top layer of SS mesh, assuming there are others, and the holes do not perfectly align, the absolute size of a single hole in a single layer of SS mesh makes little difference.. Again, it is a measurement of a particle that passes though which is the measurement of record.

That’s the way it is suppose to be..

And not to forget, the pictures above are of just the top layer of SS mesh, assuming there are others, and the holes do not perfectly align, the absolute size of a single hole in a single layer of SS mesh makes little difference.. Again, it is a measurement of a particle that passes though which is the measurement of record.

1. There is only one layer of mesh

2. I measured a maximum "circle" or spherical particle that could pass through and i averaged a 40 micron circle that is able to pass though the triangle opening formed by the mesh.

i still prefer the paper ones ... why ?

too lazy to clean

Life is hard enough, I agree. Throw in a new paper filter and be done with it. I dont buy into the stainless filters.

I guarantee a new paper filter that has never seen action is cleaner than a cleaned out used stainless filter.