Sign in to follow this  

2008 rm250 sitting low

I weigh around 185 with no gear and im bottoming everywhere on my rm. Sag is set good and everything. I have a 2010 rmz250 spring on it currently, would this cause it to sit low? im fairly tall so i want her sitting as high as possible. Think I need a new spring rate to bring it back up for my weight?

If the sag is already set where it is supposed to be then switching springs won't help. Bottoming out is more of a valving problem. If you have your compression clickers maxed out then look at getting a revalve. I'm sure at your weight it would help a bunch. I'm around 160 without gear and I have my clickers nearly maxed out on my 07.

I think stock ....your bike should be 44 up front...and 5.3 on the rear...or really close.

The rm/z shock spring ...if it is stock would be a 5.4 or 5.5 ??? I think.

I have an 05 rm 250....and weigh a svelt 220 ....and I put in 46 up front...and a 5.6 spring in the back.......the bike sits pretty good to me.

Of course.....you have to have the front and back matched ( spring wise) or handling could be affected.

You could just get the oil changed and the N2 recharged.....and see if that helps. ...( I would do that any how...since the shock is going to be off the bike). The bike was made 48 months ago...at least.

On another note.....I have an 05 rm 125..with stock 42 front and the 5.2 in the back....and put on 44 and 5.4 springs...and bike handles like a champ. This bike I didn't mess with the N2 charge or shock oil.

out

I just recently had the shock oil changed and it recharged, so i dont think thats the problem here. stock rm250 spring is 5.2 and the rmz is a 5.7 which is what i have on it right now. The front on my bike is dialed and is perfect for me. Just the back is sitting too low. Skid marks under the back fender throughout the whole thing. I have maybe 5 inches, when im sitting on the bike, of clearance between the back fender and the tire. All these other 250's i see at the races are much taller with guys bigger than i am.

I just recently had the shock oil changed and it recharged, so i dont think thats the problem here. stock rm250 spring is 5.2 and the rmz is a 5.7 which is what i have on it right now. The front on my bike is dialed and is perfect for me. Just the back is sitting too low. Skid marks under the back fender throughout the whole thing. I have maybe 5 inches, when im sitting on the bike, of clearance between the back fender and the tire. All these other 250's i see at the races are much taller with guys bigger than i am.

You just have way too much sag dialed in. Try adding preload, enough to get the rear back up to 100mm of sag. That's from when the rear tire is off the ground and on a stand to where you are sitting on the bike with your feet on the pegs. Get someone to hold the bike up while you are sitting on it.

As for the RMZ rear spring, I think that you will find that it's way too stiff. I'm 185 too and the stock spring was just fine.

Yeah it does sag pretty low between being on and off the stand. I'm gonna service the shock and then stick the stock spring back on most likely and go from there