Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke oil shelf life???

as the title does synthetic oil for premix has a shelf life in a seal container or then again while is open and sits on the shelf.....

have you notice a difference in performance or use, or do the manufucturers recomment a shelf life,

I have not had any issues. I have been buying it by the gallon for the last 2 years. (Blendzall) My Son goes through a gallon every 2 to 3 months and I have not had any adverse affects. If it sits for more than a year I would say shake it up and use it.

run it!!

Think about how old some of the injector oil is in outboard 2 stroke marine engines. Those engines are WAY more expensive than our dirtbike engines and they run just fine.

I have used premix that was at least 2-3 years old before, didnt think twice

I always thought it odd that sometimes when I open an old container of oil for a premix, usually for lawn machinery (my bike oils don't sit around very long), that there is a residue in the bottom of the container, like it has partially separated ...? I can't EVER remember seeing "SHAKE BEFORE USING" on a bottle of oil.

I have picked up a few used bikes and usually end up with that box of what-nots from the garage. Although there are few good surprises along the way, I too have noticed the bottom (seperation)? in 2 stroke pre mix oil. I promptly put it in my used oil container. Guess I was lucky to find this out early on, from a clear oil container.

Not sure how long it takes or what causes it.

I always thought it odd that sometimes when I open an old container of oil for a premix, usually for lawn machinery (my bike oils don't sit around very long), that there is a residue in the bottom of the container, like it has partially separated ...? I can't EVER remember seeing "SHAKE BEFORE USING" on a bottle of oil.

I once bought a case of amsoil 100-1 off of this ancient blue haired old bird who her and her long deceased husband used to sell out of their apartment. Turned out it was over seven years old and had partially seperated, dark stuff that looked like soot had accumulated at the bottom of each bottle. But being the cheap bastard that I am I used it anyways. I figure any good oil mixed at something -1 is suffecient enough. Struck terror into the heart of my less than pragmatic and adventurous buddies. Never had any ill effects either.

I ran 25 y/o shell pre mix in my yz85 back in the early/mid 2000's, never had an issue