Sign in to follow this  

Are KTMs jetted right from the factory?

One of my mate tries telling me ktm manufacture place doesnt jet the carbies they put on there bikes , they send them to the dealers and they are supposed to jet them to the right elevation and so on.

Does anyone know if this is true ?

Edited by William1
Improved thread title.

KTM jets (and so does every other manufacturer) for:

68 degrees F

50% humidity

Sea Level

30.00 inches mercury

If where you ride is different, then the jetting may need changes.

No this is not the case.my buddy owns a ktm/triump dealership in st.louis mo.most of the bikes that i have seen at our local tracks seem to run ok.but my freinds bought a 85 and a 105 that needed to be jetted,they dont jet dirtbikes when they come in.i think the newer stuff is pretty good when it arrives at a shop.

NO NOT AT ALL,maybe i did'nt type what i was trying to say.the ktm's that i have personally worked on were not that far off.the two minis that my freind bought were purchased in winter,and they loaded up and headed to a ama arenacross on a weekend that had extremely cold temps.needless to say the bikes were a bit off and needed a bit of work.william,i am not quite sure what you are trying say.

i believe hes saying that the jetting is set 1 time from the factory for what ktm feels is optimal and it works in some areas and doesnt in others, and the dealerships do not change jetting when they come in to get their PDI (i assume bikes get a pre delievery inspection or something similar like cars)

NO NOT AT ALL,maybe i did'nt type what i was trying to say.the ktm's that i have personally worked on were not that far off.the two minis that my freind bought were purchased in winter,and they loaded up and headed to a ama arenacross on a weekend that had extremely cold temps.needless to say the bikes were a bit off and needed a bit of work.william,i am not quite sure what you are trying say.

well there you go.

thats what i meant,sometimes i might not get what im trying to say put into words that i type.not that good with typing,or computers.but i was'nt trying to say that ktm's don't come jetted right.i have been involved in every aspect of the motorcycle and marine industry my entire life.from starting out at my uncles boat dealership,to attaining master technician status,to owning my own mercury/yamaha dealership for 12yrs.i was always more attracted to the service end of this buisness.i could never get used to the sales end,even to the point of bringing in a salesman into a medium sized,family owned company.peace and wheelies

Ah, now we are getting someplace. Jetting a bike is a service dealers provide. You buy the bike, you can also pay the service dept to jet for that particular day. Most owners learn jetting and accept that as the air density changes, so must the jetting. They make strict notes regarding what works under what conditions. After a while, a good tuner simply knows what to do.

Some dealers do a terrific PDI and go above and byond what the PDI sheet instructs. Some manufacturers frown on these 'modifications' as they often entail opening the airbox, modifying the muffler.

Bottom line is, any bike used anywhere other than where those specs I provided at the beginning of the thread, needs to be rejetted.