Sign in to follow this  

1982 xr500r?

First of all, I am new to the forum and send greetings to all. I look forward to learning much from your experiences.

Secondly, I have just let go of the last of my 2 strokes.....and getting back in to thumpers.

So....available to me is an 82 XR5 w/supertrapp. I have not seen it yet in person. Owner is asking $850.

I would like your first impression thoughts on the value of this machine, and whatever else you believe to be important.

I should also mention that my other option is a 1986 xr6 that has not been started in a while....but owner believes to be a runner. $550 for that one.

Thanks a bunch!

Here is the ad for the XR5:

http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/2748925873.html

Edited by macsr89
added info

xr6 has disc brakes, newer tech and had a longer run than the xr5, making parts easier to find. If the thing has spark and compression, go 6!

Well here in pa having a title for a bike is a big deal so if you do get one I would opt for one with a title. I think 850 is kinda high for a bike in that kind of shape, it may run good but the plastics look rough and faded. This is just my opinion others may differ. I would never pay 550 for a non runner though, there's just so many things that could be wrong with the engine and trans and you have no way of testing it. I've been screwed buying a "runner" that "just needed the carb cleaned out." A new/used ebay engine later she runs fine. My friends have also been in similar situations. Never believe what anyone says unless they have some way to prove it. I would avoid the non runner and I wouldn't pay more than 700 for the runner.

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree with you both.

I rode the XR5 yesterday...the plastics are rough but the fron end is from a 1983, so it has the front disc. Still not wanting to pay the $850.

Heading out to see the XR6 Saturday. Will check fuel delivery, compression, and spark.

Thanks again!

They were such reliable bikes, A few years back, I bought a 79xl500 that had "been put away running years ago". I checked the basics paid 500 for it, took it home cleaned the carb, new plug and it roared to life. Sold it a few thousand miles later for $1500! Cover your bases and you'll be ok. No bike in the world under 800$ doesnt need some work!

Well....I took the chance on the 86 xr600 three weeks ago. With all the fantastic information on this forum, and the magic search button....the pig roared to life this morning!

It is a balmy 68 degrees here, so I have been riding since ten this morning.

A huge thanks to those who replied to my post. I weighed each of your opinions. You were very helpful.

And thanks to all who posted questions and answers in the past. I used your info to work over and tune stator, cdi, valves, and carb.

I'll put a pic or two up in the sticky soon.

.....now....back to the woods!

Don't neglect checking the choke flap in the rear of the carb on the 600,,They seem to have a habit of falling to pieces and destroying engines..See this thread for clarification.,

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034751

Read it right through and follow any other links provided,,I advise replacement or removal of the stock unit.,

Thanks....think I'll pull it this morning and see how it starts without it. Warm climate here, so shouldn't be a problem.