Sign in to follow this  

rm250 for service?

Hi All

I have a 08 rm250 which I believe is a k7 model. It has an Ohlins rear shock and standard front forks. I am looking to race the c class offroad cross country type racing and find the forks quite stiff over the small choppy bumps and ruts.

I am going to service the forks, It was recommended that I try 3w oil for offroad use. What do you all think? I weigh 185 and am a C class rider.

Does anyone have a link on how to change twin chamber fork oil? This will be my first time doing same

Steve

Should be on you tube.........how to change fork seals . MotoSportInc....is the guy doing the video.

5w is what is stock......if you want 3w , try it !!!

There is also a smaller spring.....inside the forks ( about 3" long ). You can change out...to help out on the small bumps. I haven't thought about it in a while.......and did not change it on any of my bikes.....so don't have any " real " feed back on it.

I had/have same complaint about front forks....in hardpack soil...but ( that is about 1/3 of the courses , I ride ) so haven't changed out the small spring. In deep sand , forks are good.

I'm sure someone has the inside scoop on tuning these showa forks.

out

Should be on you tube.........how to change fork seals . MotoSportInc....is the guy doing the video.

yep! part 3 shows how to service the cartridge

Going to a lighter oil will work ~ sort of.

Because while it will reduce your compression damping, it will also reduce your rebound damping. So your forks will compress softer but they will also rebound faster.

Honestly, your best result will be to have them revalved for you and what you are doing. Going to a lighter oil without revalving will only be an excercise in futility.

Thanks for the tips lads, will watch the video. First try will be the oil change and will do a revalve anyway in Spring