Sign in to follow this  

My '09 200 rebuild

I figured I'd document my tuning up of the '09 200 XCW . I'm going to include some numbers concerning engine wear as there have been a few threads recently about rebuild intervals on the KTM's.

My bike has 101 hours on it and has been raced a handful of times in Enduros, the rest is all trail riding. I consider myself a quick rider and I do abuse the bike on occasion. I'm also a bigger guy at 6'1" and 250lbs.

My plans are for a good cleaning, top end check and rebuild if needed, fixing some of the plastics that are in rough shape, replacing a few small items that need some attention, and some upgrades along the way.

I've already done:

-Enduro Engineering tuned suspension

-Enduro Engineering handlebar risers

-Enduro Engineering skid plate

-Enduro Engineering chaincase guard

-Enduro Engineering front and rear axle pulls

-Sicass Racing light kit

-Ironman sprockets

-Regina z-ring chain

-Bark Buster style handguards

-FMF Gnarly pipe

-James Dean jetting kit

-ODI lock on handlebar grips

-Pirelli Scorpion MS tires

My bike before I started on it.

PB070029.jpg

• Like 1

I started on the engine this morning, tore the top end down and was happy to find (almost) everything within spec.

Getting ready to rip into the engine

PC130019.jpg

Cylinder head before and after a wipe down

PC130021.jpg

PC130022.jpg

Piston and cylinder, everything looks in good shape

PC130023.jpg

The cylinder in mint shape, well within spec for wear

PC130025.jpg

Piston is within spec as well, needs some cleaning though.

PC130026.jpg

Measuring the piston ring end gap, both rings measured out to 0.021" end gap, the wear limit is 0.015". I'll throw in some new rings and be mint, not bad for 101 hours.

PC130027.jpg

Time to start into the power valve......

thanks for taking the time to share. pretty cool to see 100 hours.

wondering what fuel ratio & premix oil you are using. i know it relly depends on your jetting , but just curious. thanks again

thanks for taking the time to share. pretty cool to see 100 hours.

wondering what fuel ratio & premix oil you are using. i know it relly depends on your jetting , but just curious. thanks again

I'm running a 50:1 ratio, used Amsoil Interceptor for the first 80 hours or so, then switched over to Ipone recently. Everything was well lubricated when I tore it down and the power valve was still pretty clean but can use a spit shine for sure.

I think I have just about the same number of hours on mine. Looking forward to reading this one.

Got the powervalve cleaned up today. Forgot to take a before picture but it was in pretty good shape, just a little sticky. After cleaning it works great. My Moose Racing gasket kit also came in the mail today. Need to clean up the engine parts real well and wait on the rings, then I can put the engine back together. I also ordered a graphics kit and some rad shrouds to replace the beat up stuff.

PC150028.jpg

PC150029.jpg

Got the powervalve all cleaned, lubed, and put back together.

PC240021.jpg

More parts showed up

PC300001.jpg

Engine all put back together, has 160psi compression with the new rings, not even broken in yet.

PC300002.jpg

Time for new brake pads, the ones on the left have 101 hours on them. Pretty good I suppose.

PC300003.jpg

Bled out the brakes as well.

PC300004.jpg

Graphics kit and map switch should be here anytime now....

Even though the piston was within spec why didn't you replace?, just wondering.

Even though the piston was within spec why didn't you replace?, just wondering.

No need to, the piston and cylinder measured virtually no wear, I'll replace it around the 200 hour mark. IMO it it shows just how reliable the KTMs are, they don't wear out - they wear in :bonk:

I finally got a few more goodies in the mail today and got a bit of work done on the bike.

The GasGas MAP switch arrived and I hardwired it in, made sure to route it nicely

P1060001.jpg

P1060003.jpg

P1060004.jpg

P1060005.jpg

Sneak peak at the graphics, still need the shrouds though.

P1060008.jpg

Its coming along.....

FWIW I mount my switch so the traction mode is closest to me, & rotate it so the high power mode takes a deliberate reach to engage. That way if you're in high mode &a get out of shape your hand usually knocks it into traction mode. IDK if it's actually saved a crash but seems a good idea.

I got my rad shrouds and graphics all done now. Still have a few things to do before spring gets here.

I still want to:

1) add a rear tugger strap

2)need a spark arrested silencer for bylaw changes happening this year in places I ride

3)need to saftey wire the brake pad retaining pins

4) still toying with the idea of a Pirelli MT43 trials tire :s

P1220001.jpg

P1220002.jpg

P1220003.jpg

P1220004.jpg

P1220005.jpg

Looks good! I was looking at those graphics, but didn't want to copy you. hehe Plus I am going with either accent orange or retro red, white, and blue.

safety wire the pins shouldn't take you more than a few minutes. git r done :smirk:

Looks good! I was looking at those graphics, but didn't want to copy you. hehe Plus I am going with either accent orange or retro red, white, and blue.

safety wire the pins shouldn't take you more than a few minutes. git r done :smirk:

It will get done, got lots of time now though, plenty of snow on the ground.