Sign in to follow this  

Shopping for a YZ...Need pointers

I'm in the market for a used YZ250 but I need to know what years are the

LEAST desireable. I see a lot of late 90's YZ's that seem to be a good deal but don't really know the late YZ line that well. Are some years better than others for suspension or motor? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

anything 03' and newer in my opinion. But 99% of what youll hear on here is anthting neweer then a 99'. some guys say switch something with the kickstarter gear from an 01' i think into all the newer ones. well you wont have to worry about that if you dont pound the piss out of the kickstarter when you kick it over. Most well running 250's dont need nothing more then a light "swoosh" of the kickstarter and they turn right over. Mine does. Good luck to you happy shopping.

I think the 02-04's are a good value, especially for a trail bike. If you want an MX bike and you have a little more funds I would go for an 06 and up.

Now to explain my logic... the 02-04's don't look too old, and have the same engine as trans as the new bikes. The only drawback in my opinion is that they need a suspension revalve. But being that you can get one of these bikes fairly cheap that's not a big deal.

The 06's and up get a ridged aluminum frame plus the SSS forks, which I hear are awesome. The reason I haven't mentioned the 05, is that was kind of a different transistion year. It could also be a good bike, just giving you my (unprofessional) opinion.

I think the 02-04's are a good value, especially for a trail bike. If you want an MX bike and you have a little more funds I would go for an 06 and up.

Now to explain my logic... the 02-04's don't look too old, and have the same engine as trans as the new bikes. The only drawback in my opinion is that they need a suspension revalve. But being that you can get one of these bikes fairly cheap that's not a big deal.

The 06's and up get a ridged aluminum frame plus the SSS forks, which I hear are awesome. The reason I haven't mentioned the 05, is that was kind of a different transistion year. It could also be a good bike, just giving you my (unprofessional) opinion.

Agree, but I would go as far to say 99-04. All the important stuff is the same for those years, only difference is plastic changed in 02.

For the amateur level the forks and shock on these bikes, with a revalve, will suit any am. racer fine.

The engine is esentially the same from 99-present. There have been some porting changes, and the compression was dropped in 2012 (?), but nothing to noticeable.

If you want to spend more than 2000$, get an 06+. They got the aluminum frame, better rear shock, SSS front forks.

It would be used as an enduro/woods bike, not at a pro level (any more-I'm too old) I may spend some time on an MX track mostly for practice & building physical endurance, not lap times.

99 or newer would be good. That is the new generation motor. 02 or newer is the newer plastic. 05 or newer is the aluminum frame. Either way, I dont think you'll go wrong with these bikes.

What GMO397 and hillclimbguy said. :banana::bonk::smirk:

But probably most important, get familiar with how to recognize the changes through the years on these bikes, or learn to read the VIN.

LOTS of bikes are being listed with the wrong year, ie. a 2000 being sold as a 2003, or a 1997 posted as a 2001, so keep your eyes open.

Good luck!

Guys, would you make an argument that the steel frame bike may be better for offroad? This is assuming suspension was worked on and equal between the steel and aluminum variations. I THINK I might be able to. I woudl argue that the steel frames, especially before 02, had a plushness, or comfort feeling, thats not available anymore. Not a big deal, really, but if I were starting over.....

Guys, would you make an argument that the steel frame bike may be better for offroad? This is assuming suspension was worked on and equal between the steel and aluminum variations. I THINK I might be able to. I woudl argue that the steel frames, especially before 02, had a plushness, or comfort feeling, thats not available anymore. Not a big deal, really, but if I were starting over.....

One of the reasons I haven't picked up an 06+ plus is because of this.

I would love the low maintenance al frame, SSS forks, etc.

But everytime I ride a buddies, the thing feels stiff, almost like I can feel every pebble I hit.

Granted, these bikes are setup for someone else.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I admit I already had an opinion to NOT go with an AL frame but THANKS for all the facts.

99+ are all pretty good. Same motor, good suspension, the list goes on... Dont go any older. They messed the motor up bad from 96-98

RCannon hit the nail on the head. The steel frame is def. more suitable for trail use since it flexes so much. The alum frame is very rigid. I own both and ride them back to back all the time. Same suspension set ups, same bars, height etc. they feel the same when you sit on them but when I get on the track I can def. feel the difference. I also feel that after a revalve and spring for speed and weight the older suspension on my 03 is on par with my 08, the area that the SSS stuff shines is in stock form IMO. Leaves nothing to be desired outside of going to a "kit suspension" now that its pretty dialed in. My 08 is good, my 03 is just as good.

Like everyone said, you cant go wrong with a 99+ yz250 thhey are all awesome bikes!!!!

And didnt 06 get a new expansion chamber?

Yes and it is very sought after among MX guys... try finding a mint stock pipe for an 06 compared to other years.

I bought one for my 08 when I trashed my stock pipe and paid $160 for it. I switch it out with my DEP depending on track conditions. The stock pipe out performs any aftermarket pipe Ive ran in bluegroove/slick hardpack or muddy conditions, and Ive tried everything I could get my hands on... including a few custom built cone pipes that I demo'd at the track.