Sign in to follow this  

valve replacement

im in the process of building my 07 drz sm into a 434 hi compression, im going to run stage one hotcams, i am looking around for new valves and valve springs....I know that eddie provides both items in high quality, but is also quite expensive, has anyone ran other valves or springs and had success? please give me suggestions:ride:

a Fresh set of OEM Valves, with new springs will do just fine when properly installed for OEM or HOT CAMS Stage 1 CAMS. Keep the upper RPM’s at the stock level, and do not let the motor live at the limiter.

Tons of OEM or very mild build DRZ motors are successfully using OEM supplied valves.

:bonk: I've been Eddie'ed again.

+1 what they said. I installed the same basic set up it sounds like you are building when I had about 8000 miles on the bike. Sent my head to SSW for new OEM valves and springs and got it back super fast. I highly recomend sending it to Eddie, great communication, fast turn around, all at a reasonable price. :bonk:

Im still on the standard original valve springs but im using WISECO 1 peice stainless steel valves. 41000 mile 436 Drz

Im still on the standard original valve springs but im using WISECO 1 peice stainless steel valves. 41000 mile 436 Drz

Those wiseco valves are like fairy s##t at the moment. Been waiting over 2 months for a set and the supplier still hasn't got them!!!

Where did you get yours Packman???

oem vavles and springs are fine for hotcams. you should however replace those parts if they have any significant miles on them.

what do you consider significant?

Personally, I say more then 120 or so hours

P1010096.jpg

P1010099.jpg

P1010098.jpg

And watch out for them Megacycle TI springs

broke_spring.jpg

Yikes...you guys log by hours? heh...

I did on that bike.. And that failure while common is not typical in that short amount of hours..

My point was.. If the head is apart, and there has been a a few seaspons on the head, replace the springs and valves if also installing a BB and cams

If you run a Vapor it has an hour meter...

I work on the 100 hour mark for top end rebuilds for my SM....

IMO Hours are a better way to regulate maintenance/service intervals..

120 hours?! WOW! Something went horribly wrong, there.

I'm on 1100 hours, total, with no problems. I have about 80 hours with my Hot Cams. Sounds clean and crisp.

120 hours?! WOW! Something went horribly wrong, there.

I'm on 1100 hours, total, with no problems. I have about 80 hours with my Hot Cams. Sounds clean and crisp.

Well for one thing, you have a 2006 DR-Z400SM... and likely your 1100hr is street ridden.

So state of tune, and use, have a lot to do with it.:bonk:

So fella's, if I do the OEM valves with all new parts, I just need to get the seats cut for the new valves? My local dealer has a machine shop that cuts seats for his race bikes and have since 1986-ish, so I thought I would buy the parts, and do it myself, any tips other than use the service manual? I am running Old Stage II Hot Cams in a 10.000 mile SM. I plan to follow up with a big bore kit, just couldn't do it right now.

Hi fellow riders,

I'm nuts when it comes to engines so bear with my question..feedback appreciated! I'm currently on a used 06 model drz400 which has 71000km (~44000miles) on it.

i'm not aware of what the previous owner(s) has done in the engine save for the FCr and aftermarket exhaust but would you guys think that it's good time to have the valves looked at? btw i'm learning wheelies, if that should be taken into consideration? good to have hotcams?

thanks!

Got mine from the US through a dealer in Colorado that's over 5 years ago now ,