Sign in to follow this  

Starter issue...

2003 S

So I haven't gotten to do any diagnostics yet, and I don't think I'm losing power from the stator to the battery (new gel battery), but every 1 out of 5 times or so when I go to start the bike I get half a turn on the starter then nothing for a second or two, then it starts turning over again, instantly started the bike as it should.

(longest run-on sentence award?)

I noticed it as a real issue this weekend as I was constantly shutting down the bike on trails waiting for the jeeps what I normally wheel with to catch up. It was almost predictable that it wouldn't start up on the first try, but always the second. On the way back from this trip the bike fell over (driver side) on the trailer as soon as we started to leave (strap broke). Thank god I had the case cover! 3hrs later I got back and pulled the bike off the trailer and it did the half turn thing and "dead battery" thing about 10-15 times...then it started perfectly like there was no problem. Def not a dead or low powered battery at all from the way it was acting.

What do I see going on here? Doesn't seem like stator or battery to me. Doesn't even seem like a loose connection to me either. Clutch switch? yo no si?

Thanks!

Sounds like a charging issue.

Charging system diagnoses Plus the "Free Power MOD"

Idea for the article; Noble. Thanks !

Published by E.Marquez

04-04-2008

Do the step by step diagnoses in the link above.

Need to know battery voltages, need to check each connection.. grounds and power leads.

And no, does not sounds to be a clutch interlock switch issue.

Thanks for the reply. I really didn't think it would be a charging issue since i'm not noticing any problems other then this. No headlight power modulation, no slow start action, no weak battery.

I'll start ripping everything apart tomorrow night to see whats going on per your instructions. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. I really didn't think it would be a charging issue since i'm not noticing any problems other then this. No headlight power modulation, no slow start action, no weak battery.

but every 1 out of 5 times or so when I go to start the bike I get half a turn on the starter then nothing for a second or two, then it starts turning over again,

OK, I may have mis understood what you described then,, I thought you were having a slow starting issue?

IN any case, start with the diag listed in that thread, once you confirm or rule out battery, wiring, and charging issues, then you start looking at the starter switch, starter solenoid, and the starter motor itself.

Take a look at the auto decompression devise on the exhaust cam. What you describe is a symptom of lacking the compression release.

Yeah definitely no slow starting, just it quitting like the battery is dead 100% then its working great with no power fluctuation. Can you explain how to check this Noble? I'll start some searching on the google box, but if you know exactly how to check off the bat that would be great (or what page its on in the service manual).

Take a look at the auto decompression devise on the exhaust cam. What you describe is a symptom of lacking the compression release.

Well , but it is a stock motor, and as you, I, many others have pointed out dozens of times, a stock motor with a good batter will start no issues with the auto decomp removed.. Assuming we are still correct (we are :smirk:) They even if his Auto decomp was not activating, the engine should still turn over, not stall like my 485 13.5:1 CR, 95.5mm motor does with harsh regularity. :bonk:

Just read a thread about on here that I see both of you were participating in (2003 postings)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103858

The best way I can describe it is this:

Imagine you are going to start it. You pull in the clutch hit the starter button and you hear the starter run half to 3/4 a turn then someone pulls a lead off the battery. Meanwhile you are still holding the starter button and then they decide to hook the battery back up as if nothing was ever wrong.

Other then that problem, NO other electrical gremlins

Is there a possibility its not getting pushed in enough? I suppose I could loop the connection to not require the clutch in, but honestly I know I'd launch the bastard off a cliff in the middle of the TAT trip lol.

Mine did that a few times then wouldn't turn at all... Bad starter motor was my problem.

Take the motor top cover off and look at the EX cam. You move the fly weight with your finger and observe the cross pin rotate the release pin. It makes more since when you look at it.

My failed auto decompression affected cranking like this for about 3 months before I discovered the auto decompression did not work. If the battery is not top top condition and fully charged, the compression can momentarily stop the motor from cranking.

Be Suprised if your auto decomp even if failed would cause the issues you have with your particular motor spec,it should,still crank over fine,mine has the exact same issue but is a stroker with no decomp and even have a huge battery on it .....

this could be completely off but i had a car that was doing that sort of thing once and while i was under the hood with a remote starter,i noticed the battery would sizzle when the motor wasn't turning over, and if you tweeked the battery post the starter would jump to life, turned out i had a broken connection inside my battery. it would apparently weld itself together and work great for a week, then for no reason nothing! fiddle with connections, bang on the battery post and then, it would work great for another week.

I had this exact "problem" with my DRZ. Never a big issue because it always started, but it was a weak battery. From the day I bought it I believe the battery was never fully charged, and never got fully charged from riding. I bought a battery maintainer (1.5 amp charge, float mode), plugged it in overnite, and when I pushed the starter (bike was still on kickstand) I literally jumped back in surprise when I heard my starter "zing."

I ride almost every day from April to October/November, but when winter hits, the bike don't leave the house if there's a lot of ice, or they're spraying the roads (magnesium chloride sucks!) so I'll plug it in and wait for a dry-ish day. A battery maintainer is less than half the cost of a new battery. Mine makes a cycle between the DRZ, my street bike, and a riding mower...I think it's the best thing I've bought in some time.

Just a thought.