Sign in to follow this  

65 or 85 for 10 yr old

I am looking at either a KX/RM/CR 65 or 85 for my 10 yr old. He rode the wheels off an RM 65 last week and I am afraid a 65 will only last this year and next year he is going to want an 85. His buddy has an RM 85 that he could handle but my son is on the shorter side and the 85 is a few inches too tall.

I am looking at lowering kits for the 85's. I can also shave the seat. Any suggestions?

Edited by TeamLombo

Save some $ and just get the 85. Kids grow quick! Bought my daughter an 85 last April when she was 10, she just turned 11 last month and she is barely able to put one foot down which is good enough haha.

You could probably buy him a 65, and then sell it when he outgrows it for close to what you paid. Then you could roll taht over into an 85 for just a few bucks more.

They are pretty similar in power delivery. The 85 just has a lot more.

The only reason to keep him on a 65 is if he's too small, or if he races.

Nothing wrong with a one season bike. Buy him a used 65, use it for a season and then if he's ready to upgrade sell it for basically what you paid for it and step up to the 85.

No biger mistake IMO than putting him on too big a bike and scaring him.

Nothing wrong with a one season bike.

When my son was 9 we bought his first bike, and moved him over from quads. Started with a KTM 65SX. It grenaded twice so in a period of three years to fit his size we went with a KX 60, then a KX65, then the KX 85. He is now on a KX 100 but is ready for a 125 any day now. While it seems like a lot of bikes in a short time the set up (bars etc.) all moved with him all the way to the 100. I am glad we went this route as while he can ride the daylights out of them he was really really short for his age (he has finally grown now) and the size difference of the bike progression made it easier on him in the woods when he went down. The bikes all hold their used value well.

Many 65s are harder to ride than 85s. They have way less low end and then just rip your arms off when they hit the pipe. 85s may have more power, but, unless tuned to do otherwise, they have way more low end (good for beginner) and a more even power delivery.

I would go with a cr85.. Lower it a bit or shave the seat.. Then when he outgrows the 85, you can raise it back up and convert it to an expert with the bigger wheels..

I would go with a cr85.. Lower it a bit or shave the seat.. Then when he outgrows the 85, you can raise it back up and convert it to an expert with the bigger wheels..

yeh, i still think this is the best idea, as i said before, if he can run the balls off a 65, he is going to have no problem handling an 85, i would go with a cr, kx or sx, they are the shortest and lightest

Thank you all for the replies. I put him back on his buddy's 85 last night and it is just way too big. We compressed the suspension and got the seat height about 3" lower but he was still uncomfortable. We are going with a 65 for this year and see what happens next year. If he needs something bigger next year, then we will have to sell the 65 and move him up. It just seems that he will have more fun this year on the 65 rather than struggle with an 85. Thanks again for all the help.

Good decision IMO team lombo. You do not want to take a chance of making riding scary. Keep it comfortable and then it will be fun. There is plenty of technique to be learned on a 65 :bonk:

Thank you all for the replies. I put him back on his buddy's 85 last night and it is just way too big. We compressed the suspension and got the seat height about 3" lower but he was still uncomfortable. We are going with a 65 for this year and see what happens next year. If he needs something bigger next year, then we will have to sell the 65 and move him up. It just seems that he will have more fun this year on the 65 rather than struggle with an 85. Thanks again for all the help.

Good choice, baby steps always work best :bonk:

I was in the same boat in May 2011 with my now 11yr old. He was riding a KX65 and just seemed too big for it even though he couldn't fully reach on a CRF150R. We ended up buying the CRF150R and after a few months he could reach tip toe with both legs and I gave the KX65 to my 8yr old and everyone was happy. IMO if I'd go with the 85 or 150R otherwise you'll be buying another bike by mid summer.

BTW is the 85 you put him on a big wheel or normal?

Alain

I would say get the small wheel 85. we sold my 85 when i was 10 but that was a little early... i was just about tall enough for a 125 so i only had the 85 for a year when we picked up the 125.