Sign in to follow this  

New Tank

I just put a a new used tank on the bike last night. It had the petcock removed from it,but it was wrapped up with the tank. So I put the petcock back together and bolted it back to the tank. I hooked up the fuel , the vaccum line to the petcock, and took the bike out for a ride, and it worked great.

This morning when I checked the bike the garage smelled like gas. So I checked the petcock and it had some gas on the black tubing and I noticed that it the petcock itself had gas on it.

Should I just use the petcock from the tank I replaced, since there was no issues with it.?

Do I need to worry about gas in the oil now?

If the oil smells like gas yes you need to worry and change the oil. It sounds like the seal between the petcock and tank is your problem. Or maybe the petcock itself. dry the area well and do a leak test to see where the gas is coming from.

it sounds like the petcock didn't seal to the tank.

if that's the case, fuel in oil should not be a concern.

what tank & what petcock? petcock gasket in good condition or possibly not present?

it sounds like the petcock didn't seal to the tank.

if that's the case, fuel in oil should not be a concern.

what tank & what petcock? petcock gasket in good condition or possibly not present?

+1..Yes, you need to determine where the fuel is leaking from...possibly the rubber gasket between the petcock and tank...try a new gasket and see....

Why not just use your old petcock and see if that solves your problem?

That is what I did and it worked out. I am glad I didn't get any gas in the oil