Sign in to follow this  

Another "what to buy" question

Ok people. Here goes. Time to get serious about a new(er) bike. I went through this same dilemna last year when I wasn't as serious. Now I think I am.

Stats:

49yrs old

5'9"

180lbs (and dropping)

Former racer(100yrs ago)Fairly aggressive rider(relatively speaking). Like fast single track. Have done an enduro and would like to run more and maybe a HS or two this next season. Not too interested in track riding. Tend to be a bit of a short shifter at times(to get that 2T traction), but definately like to hammer it too. Most of my riding is done out in Belfair and on my property(open single track).

Current ride:

2005 KTM250sx (wooded out)

green power valve spring

no fww

big tank

etc.

Looking at:

Used(budget-under 4500) ish.

Would like to stay with a 2T

2008 or newer

KTM150

KTM200

KTM250

KTM300

xc or xcw

I know everyone has their own opinion and this may just confuse me even more, but I do value what you guys have to offer. I'm intrigued by the 150 and 200, but not sure they would work with my riding style(mainly the short shifting part). Like the idea of the button on the two others, but not a deal breaker. I think I'm leaning toward an XC, but not sure.

As you all know, getting a new bike can be fairly stressful. You want the right one, but without being able to ride them, I guess research is the best alternative.

Any help would be appreciated.:bonk:

Thanks,

Steve

I short shift my 200, which is part of what sold me on it. I could ride it like a bigger bike, but it weighed the same as a small bore. I weigh 245 lb geared up. I typically am a gear higher than many friends. I spend a lot of time in 4th gear chugging along, using the clutch to attain the desired power.

It really depends on your taste. You are familiar with the 250. The smaller bores will keep you more engaged, shifting more, etc. But, that is what I like about it, it never gets boring. And, I don't have to worry about being spit into the woods if I grab too much throttle.

Surely there is someone around that can let you take a test ride.

The button is magical - don't discount the button! :smirk:

I owned a 2009 250 XC for 2 years. I am a 6'0", 185 lb. C rider. IMHO, it is a GREAT all around bike, very capable on both mx tracks and single track trails. Plenty of power - you can rev it & rip, or lug around easily without stalling or the carb loading up. The closer ratio trans (in the XC vs the XC-W) is fine for short shifting. It is light weight and the electric starter kicks ass. Suspension will need to be dialed in for your weight and riding style. If it isn't, the front end won't feel planted / secure in turns.

I can very safely say that you will NOT be disappointed with this bike :bonk:.

The button might be magical when it works -- but don't expect it to be maintenance free. There are a lot of bikes out there for sale, that the previous owner has just given up on the starter and let it fall into disrepair. Expect it to cost you $350-$500 to get one going again if you buy one where the starter is NOT working.

I ride a 2008 250 XC-W. I bought it used last January in great shape. I've dialed in the suspension (for me) by respringing both ends for my weight, riding. etc., clickering in the shock and revalving the forks (base and mid valves). The bike has an FMF Gnarly pipe and a Q Stealth SA/muffler. It's rejetted and needled for my elevation. I also love the e-start, but I take care of the mechanism. I also kickstart the bike now and then, just for practice.

I trail ride. For me the wide ratio tranny is great. I think for your purposes the XC, with the close ratio trans and CC forks, might be the better choice. Just my thoughts, good luck on making the right choice for you. Happy Trails.

CXC-I see that you are on an 08 300. How do like it? Is it a handfull in the tight stuff? I've got a line on an 08 300xc with a bunch of goodies on it. It has the switch on the bars which i understand will tame it down a bit. I've heard they are actually pretty easy to ride. I know I can handle anything, I just want to make sure I'm having fun and not fighting it.

If you ONLY ride your property and Belfair, WA ( for those that are unfamiliar.....similar to Jurassic park LOL)....then I would go with a 150 or 200 as the super gnarly and tight stuff at Belfair is perfect for the small bike. I run a 300 around Belfair all winter when we are relegated to it because of mountain snow , If you do ride the mountains, then for sure a 250 or 300.

Joe

Joe,

I'd love to ride the mountains, but, no riding partners that know their way around. Maybe next spring I'll try and hook up with some Thumpertalkers and get up there. I mainly ride Belfair because it's only about 20-25 mins away. Conveniant.

Dog, post in the TT northwest forum (where we Washingtonians hang out) next summer and get with a group riding the mountain singletrack. You will be amazed at the world class stuff we have only a couple hours away.

Joe

Will do. Thanks Joe.

How is your 300 in the tight stuff (ie:belfair)? Do you find it a pretty decent all around bike and have you ever compared it to a SX, if so, how different do they ride.

Are you keeping the 250?

05 is a good year. I really liked my 05 200, chassis and all.

The 300 is the bike of choice here in the northwest because it is soooooo versatile. I have no problem bangin bars all winter at tahuya, and then the next week running out to the desert at mattawa and going faaast. where it shines ( and the under 250 bikes somewhat lack) is in the mountains where you need strong controllable power delivery to get up the 4 or 5 mile long steep sections. All KTM 2 strokes have a real wide range of adjustability so you can mute down a 300 or crank up a 200 for conditions very easily so any bike 200-250-300 is still very very good here. I always like to post video of some of the stuff just to illustrate too of course :bonk:

http://vimeo.com/28916575

Joe

Are you keeping the 250?

05 is a good year. I really liked my 05 200, chassis and all.

Gonna sell the 05. Don't see any need to keep it.

Rollie-thanks for the ads. Theres one I'm talking to now.

Joe-great vid. Good looking trail, maybe someday I can get up there.

Dirtdog go for the 300, you won't be dissapointed :bonk: If you ever get the hankering to head North to Walker Valley let me know and I'll give you a guided tour :smirk:

There's a group of us take makes the trek over to Cle Elum a couple times each year, you're welcome to join us as well:ride:

Dirtdog go for the 300, you won't be dissapointed :bonk: If you ever get the hankering to head North to Walker Valley let me know and I'll give you a guided tour :smirk:

There's a group of us take makes the trek over to Cle Elum a couple times each year, you're welcome to join us as well:ride:

Thanks, might take you up on that. Never been to Walker.

Looks like, for the most part, that the 08 (in the 300) is gonna be more in my price range. Looking at one right now that is pretty loaded with goodies. Is the 08 a good way to go? I realize it is almost 4 years old now, so am I doing myself a disservice going that old. I do want the new chassis, so I guess I'm good there, but what do you guys think?

very pleased with my 08 chassis, it's my third of that gen. I tend to like the design of the 05 you have, but have no complaints with the newer chassis. Just go through it to make sure it is in good order.

very pleased with my 08 chassis, it's my third of that gen. I tend to like the design of the 05 you have, but have no complaints with the newer chassis. Just go through it to make sure it is in good order.

Ya. Looks like all of the bearings have been replaced except the swingarm. Looks to be in great shape. Guy works at a bike shop. Lots of bling-Damper, bigger stator with helmet light umbilical, new plastic, new handguards, new tires, etc. We'll see, haven't made my mind up yet.

Starting in '08 the frame and suspension were a definite improvement over a real good 05-07 bike. in 09 they were again better. around here the 08-09-10 is pretty hard to find as they are so popular so grab it quick if you like it. Very easy to sell as you will see ( while tryin to buy one).

Joe