Sign in to follow this  

crf250r-crf250x-kdx200

I'm40 200 pounds in my workboots and regular clothes I ride in, haven't gotten much gear yet. Save that for another thread... 99.9% trail riding as apposed to tracks. May consider getting it street legal to ride 10 miles to certain areas

So I haven't bought a200 yet. and started pondering if I should stick to a 4 stroke a little longer, but still somthing smaller and snappier than my tall xr650l.

I'm not sure I wan't that powerband kicking in yet. but maybe step that way more.

I was considering the crf's, and was thinking I might like the lower seat heighth, of the r over the x. even tho ground clearance can be an issue.

I like hitting rough rocky sections hard and think the r's suspension might be better for it. But at the same time want to get good at log crossing.

My hill climbing is poor so i'm guessing the x may be better for it

Does the x have a wider gears than the r...

Oh, east tennesee on the platue, mostly rocks and roots, and hills I havvn't tried yet. or accomplised.

e button may play role too.

Your thoughts.. I probably would be buying an early 2000's model

I guess you will think x cuz I trail ride, but anyhow.

buy the kdx it has good clearance and decent power, coming off an xr650 a 250f will feel too small and underpowered

buy the kdx it has good clearance and decent power, coming off an xr650 a 250f will feel too small and underpowered

hmmm, Dude was telling me it would be crazy mad enough for me, but I had my doubts. Cuz at the time I was thinking the 450 and the 250f just didn't sound enough.... suppose your right..

i had a crf250x and i went to the crf250r. both 06. personally i like the crf250r a lot more for trails, but thats just me.. im a fast rider, i dont sit on the corners. so yes the both can be good for trails. and yes the x has wider gears then the r. and if your a slower rider, looking for easy going rides then go for the x

I like hitting rough rocky sections hard and think the r's suspension might be better for it. But at the same time want to get good at log crossing.

Get an 'X' - it doesn't sound like you'd be happy with an 'R'. Be prepared, however, that a CRF250X is a gutless beast with a quarter the motor that you are used to - it has to be flogged mercilessly. You won't be chugging through anything - it'll be all rip and clutch. The 250R is even more of the above, just lighter and with even less on the bottom (as amazing as that sounds) and more on top. After buying an 'X', with my riding style, I think I would've been happier with an 'R' - but I wanted the e-start and didn't want to drop another grand into a dual off-road quiet exhaust. No regrets, but I really miss my XR400 motor...

Lots of folks swear by the KDXs, but I personally hate them. There is just no place for 80's ergos, IMHO.

The 250X is a great bike with superb suspension right out of the box, which you need. From what you described as typically riding terrain, it will be the best bike of the choices. It's only flaw is that it is missing 30% of it's motor, so it needs to be flogged. There is plenty of power in there, you just have to get used to wringing it out of the thing.

JayC

most less experienced riders will go faster and learn more on a bike built for their application, with less power. If you want to focus on skills, a kdx would be great til youre ready to step up to a bigger bike. Plus you can sell it for what you paid for it when its time to advance. Older 4 strokes are time bomb's without full rebuilds!

yeh im still thinkingyou should go with the kdx. any year will do, try to find a 200, i wouldnt get a 220, they are less power than the 200's (sounds crazy cuz its a bigger bore but trust me) and they arent like a normal 2 stroke, lots of bottom end, and not a hge hit when the powerband kicks in like a race 2t. try to find one thats had the forks swapped out, the stock forks are junk. id also fin one with an aftermarket pipe and expansion chamber, the stock one hold the bike back with the decreased flow, they supposedly have some sort of mesh to quiet them down, but it makes them really slow and underpowered. i dont think a 4 stroke is good for trails, you will always be overheating it if you get one.