Sign in to follow this  

Two small o-rings after I removed my rear wheel?

When I removed my axel to grease it and change the rear pads, I noticed two small o rings fall off. I didn't get a chance to see where they came from. Anybody know?

i don't have the SM model - could it be from the axle sliders?

only other o-rings i can associate with the rear axle would be the metal o-ring type springs that pinch the bearing seal.

How small? Maybe from the chain?
Did you take the chain apart? If the oring chain has a master link there are likely two small orings that go with the master link.

Nope, not the chain. They're still pressed on the master link.

I've got my rear wheel off for the second time right now and dont remember seeing any o-rings? what size?

I'll take a picture tonight, they seem to be the diameter of the axel spacers

How far apart was the brake caliper? Might be the piston seal and dust seal.

Nope, not the chain. They're still pressed on the master link.

I'll take a picture tonight, they seem to be the diameter of the axel spacers

someone damaged a bearing seal, and replaced it with o-rings kinda the right size ?

someone damaged a bearing seal, and replaced it with o-rings kinda the right size ?

Ugh, that could be it :/ I'll double check. Is there a bearing seal on each side of the axle?

Some aftermarket seal collars use "O" rings to seal the collar to the axle. The "O" ring would be a small cross section but ID about the size of the axle. Is that what you have?

There the springs that go inside the dust seals which cover the wheel bearings. :bonk:
Damn...you beat me too it!!!

Cool, guess I'll be pulling the wheel off again tonight :smirk: So I just slip these into the swing arm, put the axel spacers over, then bolt the axel back on?

Damn...you beat me too it!!!

i beat ya both...got it back in post #5 :smirk:

Cool, guess I'll be pulling the wheel off again tonight :bonk: So I just slip these into the swing arm, put the axel spacers over, then bolt the axel back on?

they need to go over the seal. there task in life is to pinch the seal to create a seal between the seal & spacer.

Those are called "guarder" springs. And as stated are part of the seals. Although it is not hard to reinstall the springs, it is probably a waste of time. Most likely you need new seals.

As to installing the guarder springs, it depends on if you installed the seals with the seal lip "out" or "in". Suzuki is unconventional and installs the rear axle seals with seal lip "out". Usually the seal lip is "in". If the lip is "in", the seal has to be removed from the hub to access the seal lip to install the guarder springs. The guarder spring puts tension on the seal lip to hold the lip against the seal collar. They do not float free.

Rear axle. Nothing to do with the swing arm. No offense, but if you can't tell the axle from the swing arm or a spring from an "O" ring maybe it would be a good idea for you to get some local help. It can avoid a lot of problems in the long run. By the way, very nice picture.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words:

7JRSa.jpg

dudes ! you needs some lotion !

dudes ! you needs some lotion !

lol :bonk: gear oil, brake fluid, and chain grime aren't doing me any favors!

Those are called "guarder" springs. And as stated are part of the seals. Although it is not hard to reinstall the springs, it is probably a waste of time. Most likely you need new seals.

As to installing the guarder springs, it depends on if you installed the seals with the seal lip "out" or "in". Suzuki is unconventional and installs the rear axle seals with seal lip "out". Usually the seal lip is "in". If the lip is "in", the seal has to be removed from the hub to access the seal lip to install the guarder springs. The guarder spring puts tension on the seal lip to hold the lip against the seal collar. They do not float free.

Rear axle. Nothing to do with the swing arm. No offense, but if you can't tell the axle from the swing arm or a spring from an "O" ring maybe it would be a good idea for you to get some local help. It can avoid a lot of problems in the long run. By the way, very nice picture.

So the seals are part of the wheel bearings? Can I just replace the seals, or will I need to replace the wheel bearings? I don't know much about bikes other than simple maintenance like chain, sprockets brakes, etc.

I meant, the axel goes through the rear swing arm. I know the difference between the two :smirk: I originally thought the spring was an O ring because I had the wheel off in the garage of my condo and it's pretty low light down there :bonk: When I took the pic, I realized..oh this isn't a O ring!

Edited by ngng
typo