Sign in to follow this  

Need some advise from all you YZ250F guys.

My son wants me to get him a 2006 YZ250F but I don't know if it is too big for him. He is coming off a KLX140L that he rode very well. He is 14.5years old , 5'7" tall and wieghs around 130. We ride mostley single track and fire roads and a sand pit here and there.I think it may be too tall for him, is there a way of lowering it? I checked the Kuba link website and they don't show one for that bike. Any help is appreciated.Also any alterate bike that would be better for him. 4 stroke 06 or newer under $3000. Thanks:banghead:

I know this sounds like it should be in the what bike should I buy but I was more interested in the can I lower it. Thanks.

Edited by mercman68
clearification

what do you ride? he will adjust to it fine if you know how to help him. if you cant ride/start the 250f to give him some guidence, then it mite not be the right bike.

You can lower it a little by backing off on the shock sping compression nuts.Up to a couple inches. I found some solid directions on here. Looking at the diagram on step 4, taking off some of the preload on the spring will lower the seat high. Hope this helps.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271134

both of my sons started on 250f yammies when they were 14.they were five foot 6 and 125lbs.i did soften up the suspension which helped them to touch and to start them.i have a low hr,really nice 08 that i will sell.i would take 3000.00 for it.it already has the little man suspension on it and im sure he would'nt have any trouble at all.pm me if you are interested.i know your a long ways away,but i can assure you that this is a nice bike,and worth the drive.

Yes they can be lowered but do not go more than a inch. The shockk can be done easier tha the forks.

what do you ride? he will adjust to it fine if you know how to help him. if you cant ride/start the 250f to give him some guidence, then it mite not be the right bike.

I ride a CRF450X and can help him I guess I am just being a little overprotective. as long as he can touch the ground I believe he will do fine.

Edited by mercman68

both of my sons started on 250f yammies when they were 14.they were five foot 6 and 125lbs.i did soften up the suspension which helped them to touch and to start them.i have a low hr,really nice 08 that i will sell.i would take 3000.00 for it.it already has the little man suspension on it and im sure he would'nt have any trouble at all.pm me if you are interested.i know your a long ways away,but i can assure you that this is a nice bike,and worth the drive.

I appreciate the offer,If it wasn't so far i would take a look at it.The one we are looking at only has 20hrs on it and I got him down to $2600 I think it is a great deal.

You can lower it a little by backing off on the shock sping compression nuts.Up to a couple inches. I found some solid directions on here. Looking at the diagram on step 4, taking off some of the preload on the spring will lower the seat high. Hope this helps.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271134

Great link thanks for the help.:bonk:

If you are going to buy a 06,make sure that they had the intake valves replaced.yamaha had a recall on the 06 yz-250f.it did'nt cost the owner anything,just make sure that it was done.the dealer can check for you,all they need is your vin#.i sold my 06 three yrs ago and it is still burnin up the dirt at our local mx tracks.they are very good and reliable motorcycles.peace and wheelies.

If you are going to buy a 06,make sure that they had the intake valves replaced.yamaha had a recall on the 06 yz-250f.it did'nt cost the owner anything,just make sure that it was done.the dealer can check for you,all they need is your vin#.i sold my 06 three yrs ago and it is still burnin up the dirt at our local mx tracks.they are very good and reliable motorcycles.peace and wheelies.

It has not been done(20hrs on bike)but I called my local dealer and they said it can still be done at no cost.Kind of a good thing cuz now I will know that the valves are good and I am sure if they see anything else that needs attention they will let me know and it's FREE.:bonk:

5' 7" is tall enough for a 250f. I was probably only 5' 5" 120 lbs when I moved from an 80 to the big bikes. At 14, he will likely have room to grow.

Another thing to throw into the mix... just my thoughts. This bike has 35HP. Does he have good judgement and riding skills to match this bike? Only reason I'm asking is it has a lot of potential, but also a lot of risk in the hands of someone who isn't skilled or can't control their right hand. I have the right to say this because I'm recouping now nursing back from 9 broken ribs in a bad fall in October. The wrong conditions can catch the best of us... just be aware of the risk.

Another thing to throw into the mix... just my thoughts. This bike has 35HP. Does he have good judgement and riding skills to match this bike? Only reason I'm asking is it has a lot of potential, but also a lot of risk in the hands of someone who isn't skilled or can't control their right hand. I have the right to say this because I'm recouping now nursing back from 9 broken ribs in a bad fall in October. The wrong conditions can catch the best of us... just be aware of the risk.

That's the kind of thing I worry about the most,I plan on taking him to some easy riding areas untill he gets used to it just like I did for the other bikes he has had. I have a friend with a 160 acre farm with lots of easy trails and will take him there for a while to let him get used to it.I really appreciate all the help from everyone. I think this is the best site on the web.:bonk:

Why is nobody mentioning the yamalink?

I am 5'8 and I always struggled with stopping & starting because I am so short.

Extremely tight trails where you constantly need to put a foot down to go over logs and pop the clutch, etc. no thanks.

I bought a yamalink a few years ago and it dropped the bike almost 1 inch with proper sag. You can laugh and say 1 inch is not much but man is it ever to someone like me.

I drove my cousins Honda 250F last summer (he is 6'2) and it was an absolute nightmare turning around after I stopped. I almost tipped it several times! No thanks.

Get a yamalink and re-adjust your sag & springs.

You guys remember the movie "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"? Remember Side Kick and the blocks of wood on tho bottom of his feet so he can drive the getaway car? See where I'm going with this? Often the most simple answers are overlooked.

im 5'8 125 at 22 years old lol. i had an 07 and when i adjusted my race sag to where it should be my static sag was off. i ended up completely blowing out the rear shock bc when the rear wheel was completely free the spring didnt have tension n moved snapping the lower coupler. i would suggest getting the propper spring rate for him. a complete set of springs will cost you around 350 but believe me the bike will handle better for him n you will have no issues. at the weight im at and even 135 is on the lower end for the stock spring rate so possibly look into getting the proper springs for his weight