Stripped countershaft!

About 3 months ago I tried riding my bike and the saw the sprocket spin on the countershaft. I put it away and today I took the sprocket off...and to my surprise it has no teeth! So, I know I need to split the cases. But I was thinking...can I weld new teeth on and grind them to the right shape? Or just simply weld the sprocket on?

Its probably not worth it...because the countershaft is only $125.

I had to take my head off earlier this year because I broke off the exhaust stud...and the head looks like crap. So, I figured I could replace that too...while I'm at it.

Whats involved in splitting the cases? What will I need...like parts? Gaskets?

Thank you!

DSC03513.jpg

And my girlfriend:thumbsup:

DSC03153.jpg

Edited by rangerman

My cases are apart, all the seals and what not will add up FAST.

I used all honda oem because I get a wholesale deal...I still spent around 200$

Everything will be new but something to factor into your pricing.

• Like 1

About 3 months ago I tried riding my bike and the saw the sprocket spin on the countershaft. I put it away and today I took the sprocket off...and to my surprise it has no teeth! So, I know I need to split the cases. But I was thinking...can I weld new teeth on and grind them to the right shape? Or just simply weld the sprocket on?

Its probably not worth it...because the countershaft is only $125.

I had to take my head off earlier this year because I broke off the exhaust stud...and the head looks like crap. So, I figured I could replace that too...while I'm at it.

Whats involved in splitting the cases? What will I need...like parts? Gaskets?

Thank you! (I will get pics up soon!)

You can get full gasket sets on ebay that are decent quality.........i`ve used them,,,but still went OE on the head and valve cover gaskets,,,

Splitting the cases,replacing the shaft is about a 6-7 hour job start to finish for me,,but i`m a tech...been there done that quite a few times:smirk:...

So expect to take a weekend taking your time and reading shop manuals...do not rush it...

Send the head out,,expect at least a hone and re-ring,,possible a rebore and oversized piston...

These are a relatively easy job with any mechanical skills...any help needed just post here and more than a few knowledgeable people will help you through any problems/concerns you have....

B

Ok thank you guys!

I never consider myself as a "mechanic" but I am mechanically inclined. I rebuilt my Toyota engine and have done ring and pinions on my truck...and I'm in the process of rebuilding a manual transmission.

It really doesn't look "that" hard...but I will see. I guess if I have to rebuild the engine it wouldn't be that big of a deal to me.

Look man..........if you can turn wrenches......and read and understand a shop manual....it`s not a hard procedure.it`s time consuming....but easily done with some patience...and a little help...help is easily had here,,just ask,,and wait a little bit,someone will definately give you a straight knowledgeable answer to most anything......:bonk:

Of course pics of your girlfriend are necessary as payment:thumbsup:

:smirk:

B

When you split the cases be prepared to spend some cash not only on gaskets and seals, but gears, washers, bearings (not likely), ect could need to be replaced. I recommend sticking with OEM everything for reliability and longevity, try servicehonda.com they seem to have the best deals on OEM parts.

The engine/trans are very simple to work on, anyone with a mechanical know how can do it. A service manual helps too. Good luck

Here's the build thread from when I went in after my gutted countershaft.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832355&highlight=pig+rescue

I am a renowned cheap sumbeach and therefore did not replace any seals that did not come in the gasket set and there weren't any that were leaking.

If you don't get involved in hotrodding it (or need a bunch of top end work), you can get in and out for a couple hundred bucks.

Shaft, gasket set, rings, timing chain, case of beer... done!

I welded them back on my old XR250R when they got stripped out. MIG them, grind off just enough to sledge a new XR650R (if you have an XR650L) sprocket back on. This way when you have to replace the sprocket you aren't cutting off a welded sprocket.

I met a guy who welded up the end of his shaft and then machined it down and cut two standard keyways, and then installed a standard (Browning I think) sprocket with two keyways and two set screws. Sure would have been easier if Honda had done this to start with. I would have thought it would have been easier and cheaper to machine as well.

I welded them back on my old XR250R when they got stripped out. MIG them, grind off just enough to sledge a new XR650R (if you have an XR650L) sprocket back on. This way when you have to replace the sprocket you aren't cutting off a welded sprocket.

:bonk:

B

I met a guy who welded up the end of his shaft and then machined it down and cut two standard keyways, and then installed a standard (Browning I think) sprocket with two keyways and two set screws. Sure would have been easier if Honda had done this to start with. I would have thought it would have been easier and cheaper to machine as well.

And I thought I was cheap!. If I had the cases split I would just put in a new shaft, not too fond of welding on a heat treated shaft especially a hollow one. I doubt 2 square keys would have the strength of the original setup either.

• Like 1

I was also thinking of a sleeve and running a bigger sprocket (diameter of where it slides over the shaft) but I think it would be waste of time.

Anyway, I've had like 5 xr's and my brother has 2 and never had this problem. I heard its because its the aftermarket sprockets people are using? I bought this bike with the aftermarket sprocket but have no idea. I also believe that I tightened the chain too tight...maybe that could have caused it?

Update: Pics on post #1

I was also thinking of a sleeve and running a bigger sprocket (diameter of where it slides over the shaft) but I think it would be waste of time.

Anyway, I've had like 5 xr's and my brother has 2 and never had this problem. I heard its because its the aftermarket sprockets people are using? I bought this bike with the aftermarket sprocket but have no idea. I also believe that I tightened the chain too tight...maybe that could have caused it?

Update: Pics on post #1

First big spline shaft that I have seen stripped. Most of those that have gutted are the 13 spline new & improved ones.

Mine is at about the 2/3 (left) point. Lots o slop and not much I can do about it except keep replacing the sprocket. That tightens it up a bit.

A friend swears by red locktight between the splines and sprocket. He has been doing this from the git-go on his DRZ with 40k plus miles. I'm not sure if it would work in a semi worn situation though. As a footnote heat from a torch must be applied to soften the material to replace the sprocket.

Welder and sledge hammercaveman-caveman-cave-dweller-prehistoric-smiley-emoticon-000204-medium.gif:bonk:

I work at a steel mill. I can fix anything with a torch, welder, and a big enough hammer :smirk:.

DSC03513.jpg

thats exactly how mine looked. weld that baby up!

I put over 7k miles with welded splines. still going strong

First big spline shaft that I have seen stripped. Most of those that have gutted are the 13 spline new & improved ones.

So this is a good shaft (the splines are stronger than the other ones?).

If I were to replace it...should I go with a big spline or 13 spline shaft?

thats exactly how mine looked. weld that baby up!

I put over 7k miles with welded splines. still going strong

Did you weld the splines back on or weld the sprocket on?

So this is a good shaft (the splines are stronger than the other ones?).

If I were to replace it...should I go with a big spline or 13 spline shaft?

Did you weld the splines back on or weld the sprocket on?

Honda used the larger splined shafts in the early engines and changed to the 13 spline shafts in the early 90's. All of the XRL's have the 13 spline shafts, but the early model XR600Rs have the large splines. There has been some debate over the durability of one over the other. I had a new condition large spline shaft available when I rebuilt my XRL so I used it. Two years in and it is still doing fine. The upside to the 13 spline shaft is that you can use the XR650R sprocket on it which is wider with more spline contact. If I was buying new, I would source a late model XR600R shaft. Don't buy an XRL shaft though as it will not be machined for a kick starter.

So you would suggest buying a new 2000 xr600 countershaft? Bikebandit has them for $125. I guess now I will have a wide variety of sprockets to chose from.