Sign in to follow this  

new 250f vs 250 2smoke

hey everyone i know this question has been posted a thousand times but i have a 05 cr250, the bikes awesome and i love 2 strokes. but ever since the 2012 crfs have come out i tihnk they look so sweet. and i'm tihnking a new honda 250f is the way to go, is it time to upgrade or should i just keep my bike?

depends one what you consider an upgrade....

What kind of riding do you do? Just cause they look sweet doesn't mean much, I wouldn't get rid of my 250 2t for a 250 4t ever

i riding/race mx. and i figure becasue of all the technology like F.I and the newer chassis companies are making, from what i understand the suspensions are much better making the bikes that much easier to go fast on.

if you have the budget to be able to but the new 250f and keep the 2 stroke, i would do it that way, so that you can ride either depending on how you feel, i love being able to have the choice when i go out for a ride so i dont get bored of either of my bikes

tell us what you decide. I'm debating between an 02 250 smoker an an 08 xc250f. their both Green sticker bikes here in California.

well i think ive decided to keep my bike for sure as its still way more power then a 250f, and the 250 2 stroke is a super fun bike to bike and the bikes still in good shape so i might as well keep it and get some more enjoyment out of it maybe next season sometime i might pick up a used 2011 or 2012 250f for cheaper and still keep my 2 stroke as well, but we'll see when the time comes

Me and my buddy both made a switch from 250 2t to 250f. We both can say the 250f has made us a better rider! When trail riding I would say hang on to the cr250r. But We both wanted to get good at moto. And most of the guys who are fast didn't start on a 250 2t or even a 450 bike. They started on something smaller...65/85 maybe a 125/250f. I figure once I find out how to ride this bike to its full potential I will go back to having a 250 2t. I'm seriously thinking about going to a 125sx/150sx

They look sweet?

Well you do realize that a 250 2 stroke is far more power than a 250 4 stroke?

Your 250 2 stroke is more equally comparable in power to a 450 4 stroke, and a 250 4 stroke is comparable with a 125 2 stroke. So a 250f would be like riding a 125 2 stroke that's heavier but better traction and more low end power than a 125 2 stroke. Much more $$$ in the maintenance dept also. However the 250f is what I called "dumbed down" you will be a better rider on it. It's like a cadillac, where as the 250 2t will make you WORK for it, which I prefer. If you can get really good on your 2t, then you will be awesome on a 250f but I just ride for fun and definitely prefer the original Mx bike, 2 strokes.

I for one would also never replace my cr250r with a 250f...and not really interested in swapping for a 450 either. My 2t is all I could ever ask in a bike and it's about to have a brand new top end for like $200...love it.