Sign in to follow this  

04 CR250 exhaust gaskets?

Ok, well i have an 04 cr250 with a gnarly pipe, and fmf shorty. I have constantly been getting spooge, and gunk buildup on the pipe. I have replaced the gasket with oe and it still spooges. I found a kit by fmf that fits 92-01 then 05-07 cr's and tried it and it doesnt fit. What is the difference in the exhaust pipes/exhaust flanges to make it not work?? I have not been able to find a spring/gasket kit to replace mine. I called FMF and they said that then OE must be used if they do not manufacture one. He also said that if the OE is not working then to run a bead of hi-temp RTV around the flange. Do any of yall do this with the rtv or have this problem with the spooging? The rtv seems like itd be messy and hard to remove the pipe/reinstall to service and having to constantly scrape off and re apply rtv on the pipe. Do any of yall have any recommendations on how to get this thing to seal. There doesnt seem like there are in imperfections or cracks. Nothing thatd be causing it to leak other than improper gasket mating surface/weak springs?

Do yall think the rtv is a good idea, or do you have any other recommendations for getting it to seal properly other than rtv

My bike has a boyesen exhaust flange which uses 2 small o-rings. They don't seem to last very long and right now I'm using one o-ring and high temp RTV. It was supposed to be a temporary fix but has been working great so I'll leave it until it starts leaking again. If you plan on keeping the same pipe on your bike for a while, the RTV should be fine.

If you plan on keeping the same pipe on your bike for a while, the RTV should be fine.

Ok, do you think i should just run another bead over top of the gasket on the flange, or should i run a bead around the lip on the exhaust pipe itself?

i have an '03 CR250 with the same pipe silencer combo. i use the stock o-ring and springs with RTV sealant. im not sure if there was a change to the exhaust flange on the '04 but on the '03 its a male flange and female pipe. i goop up the flange about a quarter inch in and then slide the pipe on. this way there is no chance of getting any RTV in the exhaust, probably not the end of the world if it does but 2 strokes create vacuum and could suck in a bead of RTV. if you have a male pipe i would RTV the pipe and not the flange. also the "shorty " silencer has a short packing life. try changing the packing more often.

I also use the RTV. I use the orange "High temp ultra copper". Lasts about half a season or so. It doesnt really effect getting the pipe on and off.

I dont have a problem with spooge at the exhaust flange where it meets the pipe. The 02-04 are the same with a male flange & female end on the pipe. When I first got the bike it spooged at that location so I jetted the carb & the spooge went away. I'd look at your jetting, replace the gaskets, repack the silencer & have your local honda dealer order some oe springs if they don't have them. It could also be spooging from the pipe being bent or not a good fit from FMF where it mates to the flange.

Edited by Hondasforlife

well, that was my first guess was to look into the jetting. But i feel like i could not go any leaner especially for the cooler weather here in GA. I run a 410 main, 2nd clip, 30 pilot, and screw 1-1.25 turns out. It seems i could go up to a 32.5 pilot, but then it doesnt seem like richer would fix the spooging plus i have had some trouble cleaning up the bottom end of the Power band. I think ill start with repacking b/c i dont know when that has been done last and i know the previous owner didnt do it. After that i will look into jetting and may break down and but the JD jet Kit.