Sign in to follow this  

1982 yz125 trade?

What do you guys think of an even trade for an 03 xr100. Xr is a 9 out of 10, yz is about a 7-7.5. xr has about 16 hrs on it, comes with new installed 120 kit, spare set of wheels with street tires. Yz has recent top end work,(new rings) needs finish tuning, Lemme know Forgot to mention xr has transferrable registration, yz has no papers....Be fair! Also forgot that the yz does have orig bill of sale and new tires. Looks pretty clean. Thanks

Edited by ickfinger

depends on what you're trying to do. as i've learned with my $600 street bike from 1982, while everything works and the bike is roadworthy, there is still a LOT of freshening up i need to do until it's at my satisfaction. at least $800. after all, they are 29 year old motorcycles. maybe the guy looked after it well though.

Unless the YZ is a "Holy Grail" type bike to you i would pass.My 2 cent's.......

If you need a bigger bike,sell the little Honda and put the $$ towards a newer,bigger bike.Don't get me wrong,I love old YZ's..but i wouldnt wanna ride one with so many newer bike's for sale.It's a buyer's market right now!!!

NADA book value on the '82 YZ is $1,050, in good condition. The XR is worth about 1/2 that.

The '82 is legal for post-vintage racing so the demand is going up for it.

hey im the one selling the yz. its in good conditions. the tires are brand new, the gold rims are also in mint codition and i believe i still have the bill of sale they guy gave me. i believe its iin my car. the guy that gave it to me said the same thing CamP said-something about vintage demand. I just did the top end which was never done before. i still have the piston to show that it wasnt beat up like other bikes

the plastics are the only thing that i would change, i didnt want to change them cuz they were the original ones but it would look better.

hey im the one selling the yz. its in good conditions. the tires are brand new, the gold rims are also in mint codition and i believe i still have the bill of sale they guy gave me. i believe its iin my car. the guy that gave it to me said the same thing CamP said-something about vintage demand. I just did the top end which was never done before. i still have the piston to show that it wasnt beat up like other bikes

welcome to the forum!

so he said it needed a tune up? how so? is it jeeted incorrectly or something else.

pics would be awesome :bonk:

thanks!

i dont think so. i have only put like an hour on the piston. i feel like you just need to break it in a bit. i dont have any pictures. I'll post some tomorrow

the plastics are the only thing that i would change, i didnt want to change them cuz they were the original ones but it would look better.

Keep the original '82 plastics. They are valuable. With old motocross bikes, bone stock looking bikes usually bring the most money.

it seems like answers are all over the place. Im only interested in yz from a collector point of view as I like bikes of the 80"s. Ive always felt NADA values were very subjective. I see low use (16hr) xr commonly go for more than $1000, and perfect low hr original yz in the $2500 range, that being said would that make these bikes about equal with all the extras and paperwork on the xr?

it seems like answers are all over the place. Im only interested in yz from a collector point of view as I like bikes of the 80"s.

Well, there you go. You want the YZ for what it is, then do the trade.

That being said:

IMHO, the value of the YZ as a collector depends on a lot of things, but perhaps the biggest factor is demand. I've seen "collector" bikes here languish on craigslist for months on end. Granted, ours isn't the best market for collector's items due to a small population base. Maybe where you are is different.

If the demand for the YZ as a collector bike isn't there, then what's left is an outdated bike with 30 year old technology. The xr on the other hand is fairy newish in comparison and would sell around here fairly easily. In my eyes, the YZ is worth maybe $300 if it runs as good as advertised. The xr is worth $800-$1000.