Sign in to follow this  

mid valve on woods bike

I'm just curious about the mid I know a lotof motocross guys like to drop a ls shim in the midvalve to open up the float and make it blow through the ls and hit the hs hard and fast. For my bike the stock float is .23 should I close it down to.13 to make it a smoother transition but soften it up or open it to .33 or leave it at .23 and soften it up accordingly? I ride mostly woods...hare scrambles..obviously what ever my float is I want a softer comp since it is a crf250r and I'm using it for woods

look at the rmz 2009 mid as that's really soft

its not about softening it up..softening it up is simple. i can drop a the shim sizes accordingly. i was just wondering where i should run my float hight at for woods.. like i said i know the Motocross guys like to open up there float and soften the LSC to absorb any small stuff really well then have a stiff HSC for the jumps.the prob with this in the woods is when you hit a large stone or log or roots it drops into the hs late in the stroke so its already got the momentum in the front end and when it hits that high speed its like a wall making it feel really harsh. right now my bike is set for MC and has a .43 float.

I was wondering if i should just soften the HS which i think would make it bottom to easy by the time i got it soft enough to take the harshness out or if i should close it up some and adjust how stiff i want it accordingly..if i close it up though how far should i go..the dogger recomended closing it way down to .13 so that when it transfers into the HSC you dont have the wheel speed built up because it will transition earlier. im not sure if i should close it down to .13 .23 or .33 like i said i think .43 will just be a wallowy mush bucket that bottoms out too eaily by the time i get the harshness out

the rmz mid is soft with low float, that sounds like what you are after and will save on trial and error....