Sign in to follow this  

2012 Honda XR 650L

I'm pretty sure I am going to sell my sport bike and pick up a dual-sport bike and I do like the reliability of the XR650L. I know it's not a speed machine, but after hurting my back in Afghanistan I can no longer ride my sport bike comfortably. Does anyone know where in the U.S. I could get a good deal? Locally they are going for MSRP.

Also, will these bike do highway speed (65-70mph) without crazy head shake or the rod going through the case? I remember seeing videos of the older XR650' desert racing and they were doing 90mph, but they are also far from stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

your buying brand new? do you have any room in your budget to put more money into the bike to buy things? like new sprockets, a different chain, a aftermarket exhaust and theres probably more things out there but i cant think of them right now, that you can use to dial out the bike to acheive more speed. but if it were me i would just go find a well taken care of used one, that has been dirt ridden, so i know it doesn't have too many miles on it, from anywhere, age-wise, 2000+ because the design of those bikes really hasn't chenged for over the past 10 years i beleive. and that way i would have a ton of money saved from the difference to make the bike perfect for me to ride with whatever suits my needs.

I only buy brand new bikes that I use for the road, so I know the history of it. I would have extra in my budget for aftermarket, but I 'm not looking to turn this thing into a monster. lol

Actually I see left over XR650L's on the internet...I suppose i they haven't changed any I would go with an older (brand new) bike.

I'm pretty sure I am going to sell my sport bike and pick up a dual-sport bike and I do like the reliability of the XR650L. I know it's not a speed machine, but after hurting my back in Afghanistan I can no longer ride my sport bike comfortably. Does anyone know where in the U.S. I could get a good deal? Locally they are going for MSRP.

Also, will these bike do highway speed (65-70mph) without crazy head shake or the rod going through the case? I remember seeing videos of the older XR650' desert racing and they were doing 90mph, but they are also far from stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

the desert racers rode xr650r's

Why limit yourself to a old, over weight, over priced dual sport?

I just checked out a brand new 2012 xr650l at a local dealer, i was just out there checking bikes out, its really nice, lol,

i kinda want one myself, and if you ask me, the msrp on em is pretty good and i think fair.

I have no problem cruisin 65-70 with stock gearing, 96'. If your doing mostly road, especially highway you may consider gearing a touch higher,

Most people have no fair of cruising these bikes, but the 93 manual says you should use a different plug for high speeds, and check into daves mods cuz the bikes are sold running lean... still need to look at mine..

Somebody else correct me, but raising the bars a little might help for your back....

riding in the dirt helps my back,,, must lubricate the joints or sumpin... but anyhow I take everywhere everybody else does off road.

ps. look for used

nevermind, it helps the cycle when peeps buy new.

Edited by rockraven00

Try cycletrader.com or craigslist.org I used to have a 96' and I can say for sure it was one of my top 3 favorite bikes I have owned. I never should have gotten rid of it. Buy used, there are a few mods these bikes just need to have. Dave's mods is one of the big ones, gearing, maybe an exhaust, tail light mod, smog pump removal etc. If you buy used most of the time you can find one with most or all of these mods already done, saving you a lot of time and money. Im sure you already know that bike has never changed design and they are all the same except for color and graphics. Really you can even find newer bikes like 2008 and 2009 with all those mods and very low miles for way cheaper than new! good luck :bonk:

Try cycletrader.com or craigslist.org I used to have a 96' and I can say for sure it was one of my top 3 favorite bikes I have owned. I never should have gotten rid of it. Buy used, there are a few mods these bikes just need to have. Dave's mods is one of the big ones, gearing, maybe an exhaust, tail light mod, smog pump removal etc. If you buy used most of the time you can find one with most or all of these mods already done, saving you a lot of time and money. Im sure you already know that bike has never changed design and they are all the same except for color and graphics. Really you can even find newer bikes like 2008 and 2009 with all those mods and very low miles for way cheaper than new! good luck :bonk:

That is a good point with all the mods or de-plugging the bike. I see these bikes used and they have a millions miles on them. I won't be able to seriously start looking until the sport bike is gone and this time of year they do not sell very well in Northern Illinois. :smirk:

That is a good point with all the mods or de-plugging the bike. I see these bikes used and they have a millions miles on them. I won't be able to seriously start looking until the sport bike is gone and this time of year they do not sell very well in Northern Illinois. :bonk:

That will give you time to investigate and know what an awesome deal is...

You don't mention off-road riding in your original post. The XRL is not the ideal dual sport for highway riding, more like the worst of the 3 big Japanese dualies. DR650 and KLR650 both are better on the road, being oil-cooled or water-cooled, wider transmission ratios, etc.

In order of street-abiliity:

KLR

DR

XRL

Reverse the order for dirt-ability.

For a mostly street bike with trail-bike ergos, I'd look at a WR250X. The WR250X is discontinued, so as you prefer new, deals should be out there.

I bet even with a much smaller displacement, the WR250X would be very close in a drag race to 70MPH against a stock XR650L, while also more fuel efficient, lighter, fuel injected, modern suspension, etc. Reliability-wise, the Yamaha should be every bit as good as the Honda.

You don't mention off-road riding in your original post. The XRL is not the ideal dual sport for highway riding, more like the worst of the 3 big Japanese dualies. DR650 and KLR650 both are better on the road, being oil-cooled or water-cooled, wider transmission ratios, etc.

KLR

DR

XRL

For a mostly street bike with trail-bike ergos, I'd look at a WR250X. The WR250X is discontinued, so as you prefer new, deals should be out there.

I bet even with a much smaller displacement, the WR250X would be very close in a drag race to 70MPH against a stock XR650L, while also more fuel efficient, lighter, fuel injected, modern suspension, etc. Reliability-wise, the Yamaha should be every bit as good as the Honda.

I was planning do to a few dual-sport/enduro races that are held a couple times a year, just for fun if I had the XR650L. Do you really think the WR250X would do highway speeds? My travel to work is about 25% freeway at 65mph or I could cut through the city to keep it at stop and go traffic, but Rockford Illinois is death trap for bikers.

KLR

DR

XRL

being air cooled wont make it overheat any quicker, especially at highway speeds, you think if it were a problem they would have changed it to liquid cooled years ago. theres a reason they have kept these bikes like this for so long, it because the system works phenominally great in alot of different conditions. plus if they made it liquid coole the thing would be such a heavy pig. no thank you. the only time it will overheat is if you were putting around in circles in first gear for like, 3 or 4 hours. the xr will be fine for anything you want to do. if thats the bike you want, get it, but it does seemlike a waste to buy new, even if you buy one thats got quite a few miles, get a good deal on it and throw some new rings on it and it will be a great dual sport bike :bonk:

being air cooled wont make it overheat any quicker, especially at highway speeds, you think if it were a problem they would have changed it to liquid cooled years ago. theres a reason they have kept these bikes like this for so long, it because the system works phenominally great in alot of different conditions. plus if they made it liquid coole the thing would be such a heavy pig. no thank you. the only time it will overheat is if you were putting around in circles in first gear for like, 3 or 4 hours. the xr will be fine for anything you want to do. if thats the bike you want, get it, but it does seemlike a waste to buy new, even if you buy one thats got quite a few miles, get a good deal on it and throw some new rings on it and it will be a great dual sport bike :bonk:

I believe they do run hot on extended high speeds.

Besided puttin around 5 mph on boiling hot days high speeds heatem' up a little more...lot's of peeps put oil coolers on'em,,, somebody please please clarify.

The manual does recomend running a different plug for such,,, but my reasoning could be wrong.

What are the southwest road riders doing and have to say about this.

IMHO they didn't change it cuz of economics, now is the newer water cooled better for such applications; I do not know...

I'm not anti-air cooled in general, but I seem to recall the XRL is prone to overheating when run at high speeds. Research would confirm.

Anyway, the general concensus is it is the best dirt, worst highway of the big 3.

Do you really think the WR250X would do highway speeds? My travel to work is about 25% freeway at 65mph or I could cut through the city to keep it at stop and go traffic, but Rockford Illinois is death trap for bikers.

Lots of info on-line on the WR250R/X. I'd wager without modifications to the Honda, the Yamaha will go as fast or faster than the XR650L. Not saying it has more power, just that it is more street-oriented, geared differently, and smoother on the road.

Spend some time here:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/

and here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337

and here:

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/

Lots of info on-line on the WR250R/X. I'd wager without modifications to the Honda, the Yamaha will go as fast or faster than the XR650L. Not saying it has more power, just that it is more street-oriented, geared differently, and smoother on the road.

Spend some time here:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/

and here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337

and here:

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/

While all this may be true, you just cant beat that couch cushion seat on those big dual-sport rides! :bonk:

Really though, if you do consider one of the Yamahas Look into the WR250R not the X. While supermoto set-up is really fun, It isint nearly as fun on a small bike sumo like that. I have ridden a few supermoto set-ups and a 250 just feels weak. Dont get me wrong it does the job but having a dual-sport and being able to literally ride anything at will, is rad.