2012 Honda XR 650L

While all this may be true, you just cant beat that couch cushion seat on those big dual-sport rides! :bonk:

Really though, if you do consider one of the Yamahas Look into the WR250R not the X. While supermoto set-up is really fun, It isint nearly as fun on a small bike sumo like that. I have ridden a few supermoto set-ups and a 250 just feels weak. Dont get me wrong it does the job but having a dual-sport and being able to literally ride anything at will, is rad.

Not sure how many dual-sports of any size have seats that people rave about. I know the DR doesn't. Aftermarket will cure in any case.

I agree on WR250R over X. Original poster added later that there is off-road in the mission plan, and the R is better there and more versatile over-all.

I was planning do to a few dual-sport/enduro races that are held a couple times a year, just for fun if I had the XR650L. Do you really think the WR250X would do highway speeds? My travel to work is about 25% freeway at 65mph or I could cut through the city to keep it at stop and go traffic, but Rockford Illinois is death trap for bikers.

how far is your commute?

the 650L is to big for enduros, it can be done but it will beat the piss out of you. youre better off with a drz400 or the yamaha wr250r. ive owned a drz and a 650L and the drz feels much lighter. the drz400 isnt to bad for short highway rides and will ride singlelane backroads all day. i heard the wr250r is good in the trails and decent on the road cuz it has a 6speed transmission.

how far is your commute?

the 650L is to big for enduros, it can be done but it will beat the piss out of you. youre better off with a drz400 or the yamaha wr250r. ive owned a drz and a 650L and the drz feels much lighter. the drz400 isnt to bad for short highway rides and will ride singlelane backroads all day. i heard the wr250r is good in the trails and decent on the road cuz it has a 6speed transmission.

I decided to use the CR250 for the Enduros and Harescrambles. I drive about 60 minutes to work one way. It's about 25% freeway at 65mph. Everything else is 55mph and twisty!!! :bonk:

I decided to use the CR250 for the Enduros and Harescrambles. I drive about 60 minutes to work one way. It's about 25% freeway at 65mph. Everything else is 55mph and twisty!!! :bonk:

being that you have a cr250 you might as well get the xrl or even a dr650. the honda will be much nicer on a ride that long. i used to ride mine 60 miles each way"1/2 highway' to the trails on my honda no problem. i wouldnt want to do that on a drz. i miss my honda. ive owned both bikes in the past and put alot of miles on them.

I've never had an overheating problem on my XR650L and I frequently ride 70mph plus on scorching hot summer days... lots of those on the prairies!

Great things about air cooling... air doesn't boil, it doesn't freeze and it doesn't form a puddle on the ground. No pumps, no hoses, no radiators...super simple.

The design is proven and it works.

The suspension is up to true off-road demands.

The XR650L is a very torquey beast, well put together and it is RELIABLE.

I bought new... worth every dime... I would do it again.

I've never had an overheating problem on my XR650L and I frequently ride 70mph plus on scorching hot summer days... lots of those on the prairies!

Great things about air cooling... air doesn't boil, it doesn't freeze and it doesn't form a puddle on the ground. No pumps, no hoses, no radiators...super simple.

The design is proven and it works.

The suspension is up to true off-road demands.

The XR650L is a very torquey beast, well put together and it is RELIABLE.

I bought new... worth every dime... I would do it again.

All true. Air-cooled is the simplest. Though reliable isn't an attribute of only the XRL. Every bike mentioned in this thread is reliable as a hammer.

• 1 month later...

I currently own a 09 650L. I am trying to sell it because I want something that weighs less. I really enjoy the weight aspect of the DRZ400SM more when it comes to maneuvering on sharp turns VS the 650L. She is a beast! I will say it gets up to 75mph with no issues. I just want something else. If you are planning on getting into corners you MUST drop some wight and take off the 60/40 tires! I almost SUMO'd her but dont think I will be 100% happy.

• 4 months later...

With the right rider, being desmogged, uncorked, jetted and breathing right I would love to see a xr 650l vs a 250 I dont think its really fair to compare a stock 650l vs. anything because they just dont run right off the show room floor.... I have ridden a wr 250 and I laughed at its power, but i loved how it felt..very light and responsive.... i still would like to get "ahold" of one around these bikes in the woods or around town.. the cbr and ninja 250's feel stupid when they see a dirt bike wax them on the street.. a 0-60 run on a stock 650l is about 3 secs faster than these little 250 (stock) pocket rockets... the xr is a beast when uncorked and in the right hands, power to tha pigs *cheers*

Depends on what u think is better.. The R is not street legal and hard as a TRex's crap to be legal here in NC. The L has a much more comfortable seat. They are hard to come by in good condition. Can't buy them new. I would have one if I could buy one new and they were street legal. Still, I love my L and don't plan on ever selling it. Yes the R is a more performanced base bike and yes they are amazing machines but the low maintenance, practible simplicity of a great D/S in some cases might outweigh the R.

So... given the back injury... wouldn't a drz400 make more sense? About 120 lbs lighter, about the same hp, a little less torque but adequate. Looking at the power to weight ratio, the drz beats everything that's street legal except a 10+ grand ktm500.