Does Suzuki really listen to anyone????

I don't want this to turn into a beitch session, I'd really like it to stay constructive, but still ~ does anyone think that Suzuki really listens to anyone? Or more directly, does Suzuki listen to the people that buy and ride their products?

Consider that it's common for any magazine to complain about a particular trait in a test bike one year, only to have that addressed in some way by the next year (or two). However over the 12 years of the DRZ, what really has changed in any significant way? Sure the MCCT has come and gone, and the FCR slant was gone in '05, but the basic bike really hasn't changed ~ ever.

One point is that since the very beginning of the DRZ model, we have ALWAYS complained about the high seat height and yet in 12 years Suzuki has never responded. But IMS in just a few years released a same sized gas tank (2.6 gallon) that reduced the seat height ~ so why didn't Suzuki respond?

And of all the mods out there, USD forks rates very high. Some question their trail performance as compared to the S and E model conventional forks, but no one can question how much more modern a DRZ looks with set of USD forks and fat bars. So why hasn't Suzuki responded with this change? Cost really can't be an issue as the engineering work is already done, thanks to the SM. And the actual cost added to the bike can't be that much more (if at all).

Don't get me wrong, I really do like my '05 DRZ and I am planning on keeping it for a number of years to come. But how much longer can they expect to sell what really is a decade old design? I'm going to the North American Motorcycle Show in Novi Michigian in a few weeks, maybe I'll find some answers there.

2012 DRZ400 (looks pretty much like a 2000 DRZ400)

2012-Suzuki-DRZ400Sa-small.jpg

I think Suzuki has listened, maybe not to you. If people are buying the bike that is a pretty clear voice. Remember Suzuki sells this bike all around the world and has to keep in mind price, emisions, Hwy safety regulations, ease of maintaince, and reliability. What might be perfect for a weekend rider is not perfect for someone who lives in a remote area and depends on their bike for there only form of transportation.

I can see in the hopefully not to long future, a fuel injected six speed version of this bike, with quite possibly some suspension improvements.

As far as seat height goes, I doubt we'll see much change. I like the current seat height, and even the "state of the art" WR250R has quite a tall seat. But along with suspension changes, there will probably be some ride height adjustments too.

I know I'm probably dreaming however.

In its current state I don't see the DRZ living much longer unless it can comply with new emissions laws. It does need a proper freshen up, but Suzuki might tell you to get an RMX 450Z if you want a step up in performance, trouble is that bike can't be registered.

They blame the GFC etc for sales dropping but I wonder if out dated products are more to blame.

changes cost money

extra sales from these changes - close to zero

therefore changes lead to less profit

I disagree----

a few extra features and a new model number calls to a lot of current owners to "upgrade"

raptor 700 (which is 686CC) is an example. it was essentially the same as a raptor 660 with a slight engine change(2 mil larger bore) and EFI added....

One point is that since the very beginning of the DRZ model, we have ALWAYS complained about the high seat height and yet in 12 years Suzuki has never responded. respond?

So what's up with the seat height?..Suits me fine?

Though you guys do get a raw deal on the E model??

Here in :banana: the Japs have listened to us ...we can still buy a "Real E" in road trim....:bonk:

Maybe it's got something to do with that Hiroshima thing .....?

Whats your point? If you want some high performance DS, go buy a KTM. The DRZ is the perfect bike, super reliable, moderately light, good fuel economy, cheap to buy, etc. etc.. Look at the XR650L, virtually unchanged and yet one of the best DS bikes around!

+1

You seem to have an issue with the seat height. I don't. It's never been an issue on the trail, except for an occasional off-balance issue on a sidehill (which is usually my fault). On the street, I look forward to summertime. I bought my Doctor Zhivago used, and it had an SDG "tall" seat on it. So the unreasonable seat height grew by another inch. I have relatively long legs, but at 5'7" I can get lost in a crowd pretty easily. Come summer, I throw on shorts (yes, I do) and just let the cagers admire how ripped my calves are at stoplights. :bonk:

Dated looks? Sure. Outdated suspension? That's what they say. I'm pushing 40, and rode the crap outta bikes before a "monoshock" was more than a dream. The DRZ isn't a technological masterpiece...it was never meant to be. If you want something old school that's a tech marvel, go buy a McLaren F1. To be fair, the cost difference between that and a DRZ400 is about 3 million bucks.

It's kinda hard to nitpick a bike that is literally in a class by itself. 250 dual-sports are weak. 650 dual-sports are tanks. Doctor Z is sexy. You can't fix what ain't broke.

Whats your point? If you want some high performance DS, go buy a KTM. The DRZ is the perfect bike, super reliable, moderately light, good fuel economy, cheap to buy, etc. etc.. Look at the XR650L, virtually unchanged and yet one of the best DS bikes around!

Nothing personal, but you've missed the point.

It's not about MORE performance, but updating what's already there. And imagine how many of us would buy a newer model if the 2012 had EFI and a six speed transmission. Heck, even a ACCT that actually worked would be an upgrade! Now, I totally understand that Suzuki would have to go through a new round of emission testing if they went with EFI, although it would extend the life of the DRZ for a good 5 more years.

And let's not forget how a large number of owners here will gladly spend hundreds of dollars on items that only change/upgrade the looks.

My 2005 KDX200 is just like my 03 KLX400r: unchanged 10 year old technology, outdated they say.

I have a blast on both! Both bikes are a $ bargain, due to the fact they haven't changed over the years. I've been able to "keep up" with younger guys on newer bikes with both my green machines. Magazine guys ride new bikes every year. Most of us don't.

Change cost. Even minor ones.

The after-market for both is huge. Parts are easy to find for both. Thousands of happy owners. If Suzuki wasn't listening to dealers selling tons of them, the DRZ may have been killed years ago.

KDX's are no longer sold in the US, but are still being made & sold worldwide. Maybe they will return someday...

If it got EFI now it would probably also get a Cat, and also another load of restrictive emission rubbish as well.

There is also pressure mounting on manufacturers to make this stuff so it can't be removed easily, that could harm the popularity a little if it cost a fortune to make it run right once the rubbish has been removed. The WR250R is a little bit like that....

6th gear, a tidy up around the frame and new shape plastics would make the bike look lighter and newer.

Maybe a new tank and a perimeter frame. ;-)

You lost me at the "moderately light" part. :banana:

Maybe it's got something to do with that Hiroshima thing .....:bonk:

Maybe that Hiroshima thing had something to do with that Pearl Harbor thing.

I could be wrong though ?

Don't forget a bigger battery out the door.

I'd love a 6-speed and EFI.

CATs can be removed, and it's only pressure, not gov't requirements to make them hard to remove. I'd sell it so it complies, and make it easy to remove. Kind of the same theory behind exhausts and Harleys. None of them come from the factory that loud.

I would be happy with a inline twin, so I could cruise all day at 80 mph (to get to distant riding destinations) and still go off road nearly as well, but with weight in the E to S range. Do away with the Estart and balance shaft, not needed on a 400/450 twin. They can even bump the price, there's just no choices out there in this category or I'd be riding it.

And imagine how many of us would buy a newer model if the 2012 had EFI and a six speed transmission.

In reality probably not very many. Talk is cheap, new motorcycles are expensive. Manufacturers are not stupid, if it was worth it to Suzuki to update the bike then they would. I don't the market for our little dualsport bikes is nearly as big or lucrative as we'd like to believe. Anyway I think the bike is pretty good the way it is. Nothing is without it's flaws, but the fact that the DRZ has existed virtually unchanged for so long was a big reason I bought one.