Sign in to follow this  

Problem? Could be my shifting technique: 530 exc

I went for a cold/snow ride today and had a blast. The bike was fresh all the way around; new airfilter, fresh engine oil and filter and fresh trans oil. Once I figured out how to beat the cold I was loving life.

I was almost finished with the ride and was putting along a snow covered trail and shifted to (I think) 3rd gear. The bike pulled and then revved like I pulled in the clutch but then engaged again and away I went. This caught me off guard a little, but all was good for the remainder of the ride. I loaded up and returned home to clean it up.

After a good cleaning I decided to jump on the bike and head over to see a buddy's remodeling project. No issue on the way over at all. I then returned home, but got stopped for a school bus. NO big deal, I wait and then pull away when the kids clear out. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th...rev...6th. Same thing happened here as it did on the trail earlier in the day.

Now i'm begining to wonder if I am getting lazy on the shifts, so I take the bike for a 30-40 mile ride and shift ALL through the gears making a conscious effort to shift cleanly and fully. Not once in probably 50 - 100 shifts did the "rev" thing happen. So, this lead me to think that I was getting lazy on these two shifts. But, then I got to thinking about the internal workings of this bike (which I know little about). Could a bearing be going out and preventing the bike from staying in gear. The bike only has 39 hours since new, but stuff happens.

What do you think? 2 times in one day on different terrain (one paved, one dirt). Both times I was shifting rather quickly and giving little thought to the shift. When thinking to shift fully never again did the rev thing happen. No strange noise. Oil analysis at 33 hours was clean for both the engine side and the trans side.

My Warranty runs out this month, so if something needs to be looked at I need to do it soon.

there is a mechanism in the right side case that has a spring and rollers and follower, may be that stuff, BUT Im first thinking you said snow so maybe a freeze situation??

Mike,

I took the bike for another 15 miles this morning (road only) and could not duplicate the issue. I shifted A LOT both quickly and slowly. Not once did the bike hiccup. So, I can only assume that my poor shifting technique is to blame.

Any other ideas from anyone? I'm all ears.

If the shifter has full range on a workstand to engage both ways, with a tight bolt, you should be fine. KTM should have no internal pin problems since 04'.

If the shifter has full range on a workstand to engage both ways, with a tight bolt, you should be fine. KTM should have no internal pin problems since 04'.

I had it up on my stand and was able to shift into every gear with out issue. I did speak with an Orange level tech and he said that it sounds like I need to work on my shifting.

Thanks for some reassurance..

Someone on KTM Talk mentioned a bent shift fork. I am rather clueless when it comes to the trans so could this be an issue.

I have had the same thing happen a few times.

I think it is from not getting a solid shift.

I am talking maybe once every other ride when getting tired and sloppy.

bent shift fork only if you had a hard get off on the left side, probly would have bent the shift lever too. While on the shift lever...it can be adjusted so it hits the chain going up or the frame or skid plate when going down, so be sure that isnt it. Also again the ice build up or frozen mud could have gotten in the way and not given full throw to the shift lever...just my thots. Is it missing when you shift up, down or both? Try to isolate it further.

Mike,

No hard get offs on the left side...

The only time it happened was on an up-shift. I will double check the shift lever throw to make sure that there is nothing in the way, but IIRC all is good there.

It never missed the gear so to speak. It engaged, revved, then engaged. Kind of like I didn't get a full shift, but enough to come close. When I ensure that the shift is clean no problems to speak of.

If the weather cooperates I'm going to check it out again tomorrow. If that works in my favor I will chalk it up to crappy shifting and work on technique.

Anything else?

I have had the same thing happen a few times.

I think it is from not getting a solid shift.

I am talking maybe once every other ride when getting tired and sloppy.

I hear that. It sounds like my issue.:bonk:

Its called a false neutral. I had the problem one my new honda a couple of times. It all fine now though. Make sure you give it a good solid shift(which i know is hard to do when you try to do it fast). Also make sure your shift lever bolt is tight and is in the right way. I was terified when this was happening but after tighneing the bolt and giving good shifts it has not happend again. If the bike just randomly pops out of gear though that is a more serious and a whole diffrent problem.

Its called a false neutral. I had the problem one my new honda a couple of times. It all fine now though. Make sure you give it a good solid shift(which i know is hard to do when you try to do it fast). Also make sure your shift lever bolt is tight and is in the right way. I was terified when this was happening but after tighneing the bolt and giving good shifts it has not happend again. If the bike just randomly pops out of gear though that is a more serious and a whole diffrent problem.

Thank you!! I am headed to check out the bolt now.

Again, thanks.