Sign in to follow this  

New toy!

Hey guys I'm new to the forums, I've ridden bikes before, however I have had some time without riding, last bike was a KX100 and I sold it like 3 years ago. Well, this week my brother bought a Husqvarna 450TE and I decided to buy a bike too so I could ride trails with him. After some reading I thought that due to costs a 250 smoker would be my way to go do its lower weight and costs of repair.

What I bought was a 2005 RM250, pretty great shape, feels strong and had a blast just testing it. I will be riding it this weekend hopefully and hope to have some fun with it. The bike has complete pro circuit exhaust system, skid plate, renthal chain, rather than that it's mostly stock. Front tire is like new, rear is a little worn already. The seller told us the bike had not been ridden for long but it started up very easily and felt great. However, we heard a weird clacking noise from the engine on low rpm's, we removed the exhaust and had a look at the piston and the sleeve and everything looked great. Compression on the engine felt good even though we couldn't test it and power was very great too. Is this noise common on the bigger two strokes?

Also any suggestions as in maintenance or such on the bike?

Here is a pic of the bike, I'll upload more soon when I take them! :bonk:

IMG_20111213_134657.jpg

Looks like a great bike!!

As far as maintenance I would start with the oil and make sure the filter is always lubed

Unfortunately my fork oil seals just went out so I guess I won't be riding until the seals get shipped here and we replace them.

Here's more pics:

IMG_20111214_101216.jpg

IMG_20111214_101133.jpg

Engine bay:

IMG_20111214_154657.jpg

IMG_20111214_154605.jpg

IMG_20111214_154554.jpg

it could be a few things since it was setting u prob should drop the gas and put some fresh in it same with cleaning the carb out...look slike a nice clean bike..if u dont mind how much did u pick it up for?.....if i buy a used two stroke i always put a new topend in it just to be safe and check the bottom end for play....welcome to TT theres alot of good info on here

I bought the bike for 2.5k, most 250's here in PR are going for around 3k regardless of their year. I might be buying a top end to make sure it's good and doesn't break, it's sad to open the engine up specially when it looks like it's never been touched,but oh well..

Thanks !

It's not necessarily that you change your fork seals. Just saw this tool for cleaning them...very interesting. If you don't have this tool you can try with used goggle tearoffs and clean them :bonk:.

risk_racing_seal_doctor_10.jpg

wow thats an interesting tool! would be nice to try cleaning them with something, got nothingg to lose!

Thanks!

i usually use 1 of the 300 stickers i have the came with the various parts that i've purchased for the bike. i just slip the the sticker (backing and all) in and work it around the whole fork. Works great, but i'm thinking about getting some fork skins, have a friend that uses them and his seals last forever.....

you gotta get lucky with those seals

those from my 91 rm don't leak one drop and i think they are at least 4 years old

bike is ridden every week, and never cleaned out the seal :busted:

i wish i knew what brand they are

the all balls that my 2 friends have for their rmz's clearly sucks donkeyballs

start leaking after a month or so, took them to a suspension expert, he put in new ones because we thougth we were doing something wrong

same thing, couple of months and there comes the oil :smirk:

the ones in my 04 rm are also at least a year old, not one drop

i guess 2 stroke is just better than 4stroke :bonk::banana::awww:

Well, we had a look at the fork oil seals to try and clean them however we saw the seals are actually broken, so cleaning will not work. Guess I'll just have to wait.