Sign in to follow this  

Where to buy 22.5??

I've looked all over, and only found rg3. 539$ is a little more than I want to spend. So far I've bought two sets off eBay only to find that they were the stock offset misslabled by pro-taper. So I called pro- taper and they discontinued the 22.5, Applied only has them for an 05, assuming those won't work because of the SSS. I want to put them on an 07 yz250, but will swap the stem off one for a 125. My local supplier cant get them either. I know Im just complaining, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by motomanp58

Why offset? MXA tested them and said they made no difference.

Heres the quote:

"Q:IS THERE A BETTER FORK OFFSET FOR THE YZ250?

A:No. The MXA test crew has tried all of the popular offsets and feels that the stock 25mm offset is about the best combination of stability and accuracy possible. We do change the offset on the YZ-Fs, but not on the YZ250."

Heres the link:

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/MXA-BIKE-TEST-2007-YZ250-6328.aspx

Heres the quote:

A:No. The MXA test crew has tried all of the popular offsets and feels that the stock 25mm offset is about the best combination of stability and accuracy possible. We do change the offset on the YZ-Fs, but not on the YZ250."

Heres the link:

I have read that article before. I've done alot of testing to make her turn better, and I'm still not 100% satisfied. I have read other posts of several people who liked them, and would trust fellow TT'rs opinion more then a magazine.

I guess your either going to have to live without them or bite the bullet and spend $500 bucks. I can't possibly understand what you are doing that would need the bike to turn better. My 08 turned awesome, I race HS and couldnt have asked for a better turning bike. If your trying to make it into a RM, it isn't going to happen!

each bike is different. my budy and I both have 06 yzs, and they are setup up almost identical. from day 1 his always turned significantly better than mine, and I have tried to tune mine to emulate his without success.

I believe that even though the bikes are built the "same". it could be something as small as how much heat was applied during the welding of the steering heads to the frames, and how much shrink they had after cooling.

not to mention all of the other tolerances involved, mine could have been built to he large end of the tolerance while his to the small......?

I want to play with trail on mine, he would be crazy to change his at all.

Each bike is different.

Heres the quote:

Heres the link:

suspension setups will play a role in cornering and handling as well. do you have stock suspension? if so get it setup before you go changing triple clamps

I do have my suspension setup for me, the handling for HS is decent. I just can't get the thing to turn. Its the only yamaha I've had that I can't turn, I guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy the pricey clamps. Or sell the bike

each bike is different. my budy and I both have 06 yzs, and they are setup up almost identical. from day 1 his always turned significantly better than mine, and I have tried to tune mine to emulate his without success.

I believe that even though the bikes are built the "same". it could be something as small as how much heat was applied during the welding of the steering heads to the frames, and how much shrink they had after cooling.

not to mention all of the other tolerances involved, mine could have been built to he large end of the tolerance while his to the small......?

I want to play with trail on mine, he would be crazy to change his at all.

Each bike is different.

I believe you are right. Based on things I have heard, its difficult to get consistent frames from aluminum. How woudl most of us know since its unusual to get to try a different but identical bike?

Imagine riding an identical bike, in loam, and one rider has a stock 739 dunlop...the other has a 756. Your better off on the bare rim than the 739 if that has not been addressed yet.

But based on the original question, if you can only get rg3's in 22.5, do you still do it? I did since that was all that was available when I bought them, but I think the total was over 600.00. Even ride engineering is expensive once you add in bar clamps. Probably a hundred less, but still....

If I were doing it over, I would wait and find a set of used 2010 yzf 450 clamps. Then you get 22.5 and the ability t mount the new fender and numberplate. I do remember Applied being hung up on an offset of 27mm back then.

Triple clamp cost is not the end of the money, though. I feel like you have to revalve the forks to take advantage of 22.5 without gettign tucking or oversteer in soft conditions.

The 2010 450f has the 22.5 offset? Like I said I tried raising the forks, sag and have my suspension set up for my wieght.

The 2010 450f has the 22.5 offset? Like I said I tried raising the forks, sag and have my suspension set up for my wieght.

Yes. Yamaha went to 22.5 on the 450 in 2010. The 250f did not get 22.5 until this year. But due to a crap economy there are few being parted out.....probably due to low sales. I miss the good old days (2007???) when ebay had everything.

Yes. Yamaha went to 22.5 on the 450 in 2010. The 250f did not get 22.5 until this year. But due to a crap economy there are few being parted out.....probably due to low sales. I miss the good old days (2007???) when ebay had everything.

Thanks RC, that would be the cheapest option. That's good info and definitely the way I'll go.

...Applied only has them (22.5) for an 05, assuming those won't work because of the SSS.
I can't think of any reason why '05 triple clamps won't work on an '06 and newer YZ. The fork diameter didn't change when Yamaha went to SSS... did it?
Yamaha went to 22.5 on the 450 in 2010...
If you go this route you will also get the cool fore/aft adjustable bar mounts. :bonk:

I can't think of any reason why '05 triple clamps won't work on an '06 and newer YZ. The fork diameter didn't change when Yamaha went to SSS... did it?

This was my immediate thought. The size of the fork diameter is the same, although the taper at the clamping area may be different. I can't say with any certainty.

The 05 clamps will work, really, but the spacing between the fork legs is off. If you use the 06 forks in the 05 clamps, the legs will sit 2mm too close together. You could ignore the non brake side and shave 1mm from the wheel spacer, though.

I didn't realize that Yamaha changed the offset to 22mm (or 22.5 depending on the source). Applied already makes the Factory clamps for this offset. They sell for $395 and you have choice of colors. I wouldn't try to use a set from an 05 because of the different spacing. Too many things to modify....

I see Dubach now has a Radiator Lowering kit for the YZ 250 Two Stroke. There were posts here in the past instructing how to use the YZF kits to work on the two stroke, but now there is a kit for the bike. Has anyone tried this? I am thinking of trying it, there $100 and may help. Clamps are too much of a gamble for me.