Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on part interchangeability (cylinder head)

I have a 2009drz sm. I want to know if I can replace my stock cylinder head with a stock head from a 2000-2007 DRZ 400E. Thanks in advance, S.

Part # 11100-29F01

all the heads are the same, the E's had better cams though, but that changed at some point near the end of the E's production in the U.S.

there are some minor changed in engine mechanics throughout the years, but nothing critical and nothing that can't be worked around easily. (neutral light is missing on the E engines)

Thanks, so is the e head a direct bolt on for the sm? Just don't want to end up with a head I can't use.

I have a 2009drz sm. I want to know if I can replace my stock cylinder head with a stock head from a 2000-2007 DRZ 400E. Thanks in advance, S.

Part # 11100-29F01

Fitment is the same for all DRZ. There are differences between E and SM / S, the E is machined to fit a manual Decomp assembly.. If you do not plan on using it, you need several parts which blank that feature on the head. Likely will come that way if buying used.. If a new head .. you need to order those other parts individually.. they do not come with the head itself.

Older DRZ heads had a large socket head cap screw that fit in the right side of the head, to "capture" the cam chain. It is not in the later model heads, and not really an added feature, likely why it was later dropped.

Thanks! It is a new head. $260 shipped seems like a deal I can't pass up

Thanks! It is a new head. $260 shipped seems like a deal I can't pass up

OK so new E head used on a S with no manual DECOMP needs to have the following parts ordered as well.

Listed under Cylinder Head

Item#3 PN 09282-10014 SEAL OIL $4.10

Item#4 PN 09135-06022 BOLT,6X12 $0.95

Item#5 PN 09168-06023 GASKET $1.21

Listed under Camshaft Valve

Item#22 PN 12945-29F00 PLUG,DECOMP SHA $10.94

Item#23 PN 12943-29F00 RETAINER DECOMP $3.51

Item#24 PN 02122-06123 SCREW $0.55