Sign in to follow this  

Another rebuild!!! After first ride out!

Alright so many of you have known i JUST did a top end on the bike, did a 5 hour break in, and in the MIDDLE of know where while i. 6th gear 1\2 throttle i hear a gear grinding sound and poof... Dead:thumbsup:

Get back to the trailer after getting towed 8 miles to camp holding on to a t shirt as a tow rope. I pack up and head home.. Get to the house take apart my bike and...wow.. Piston is gouged in 4-5 places, cylinder has vertical lines of metal taking out of it.. I ispect the piston closer and notice on one side only have the freakin wrist pin is there!!! Great....

Plan is to have my cylinder sent to us chrome.. $262

New vertex piston and gasket... $150

Just my luck...:bonk:

Anywho for the real question, my bike has 202 hours and the crank seems to be in good shape, lil side to side movement but no up and down movement what so ever. And spins very freely..

Although i want to make sure there is no metal in my crank so i was thinking about flushing it out.

Like taking motor out and putting diesel in the crank and spinning and do that 4-5 times??

Please what wold you guys do as cleaning it out?? Any helpful hints or ideas!!

Im trying not to split the cases as im so low on funds right now with this just happeneing..:smirk::(

So what is a good way for a crank flush! Also will a magnet be a good idea to get any shavings out?

Piston is aluminum so unless the circlip or wrist pin material made its way into the crank case a magnet won't do anything.

With 202 hours I would highly suggest rebuilding the crank and main bearings. It's not that much more and your motor will be totally fresh.

Whatever your choose to do, goodluck!!

The real question is: why did it break?

Are you saying the circlip was missing? Or did you seize it?

or did you forget one of the circlips??

How bad is the cylinder scored?

I have read diesel fuel is good to use to flush out the bottom end.

No both circlips were in there.. On the left side of the piston only HALF of the clip was there!! It must of been faulty because it broke off and FU$@&D up my piston and cylinder when it got lose in there.. Not siezed

I have no clue why it would break in half

No both circlips were in there.. On the left side of the piston only HALF of the clip was there!! It must of been faulty because it broke off and FU$@&D up my piston and cylinder when it got lose in there.. Not siezed

I have no clue why it would break in half

I would say that was your doing. The circlips are very easy to crimp, and once crimped, they are broke. You likely crimped it, didn't realize it and ran it. I speak from experience, though I realized it before install.

Don't remove the engine just to flush it out... My od 300 did the same thing. I used deisel to flush the engine out two or three times... ran forever after that.... US Chrome also welded my cylinder...

Thats the weird part.. I went over the motor with a magnifine glass basicly, checking everything! I have a tool for the circlips and i also put a small socket in the hole to make sure the rings are set in the little circular indent...

But anyways im sure us chrome will have to weld my cylinder.. But how do i clean out the crank??? Turn the motor upside down and somehow spray diesel in there? Please inform me...:bonk:

Any good more good advice? Thanks guys!!

Don't know if you want to do this or not but my yz125 would blow up all the time when i used to race 10 years ago. One time it broke the skirts off the piston and crushed them into about 100 little pieces that were all in the bottom end and the crank was really binding up and would barely turn. I flipped the bike upside down and used a water hose to spray in the engine and turn the motor over at the same time. Once I thought it was all out I flushed it a few times with some gas. I was 14 at the time and couldn't afford to split the cases so I took the chance. Bike ran perfectly after this. If you think there is something in there split the cases.

Edited by Rocket416

Dont have the $$ to split cases but i dont like the idea of the garden hose, dont like water...

Whats a good detailed way to clean out the crank? Dump diesel in there and rotate the crank then dump? Helpp

Don't know if you want to do this or not but my yz125 would blow up all the time when i used to race 10 years ago. One time it broke the skirts off the piston and crushed them into about 100 little pieces that were all in the bottom end and the crank was really binding up and would barely turn. I flipped the bike upside down and used a water hose to spray in the engine and turn the motor over at the same time. Once I thought it was all out I flushed it a few times with some gas. I was 14 at the time and couldn't afford to split the cases so I took the chance. Bike ran perfectly after this. If you think there is something in there split the cases.

I understand "Lack of funds". I agree, water is bad. However, If you "do" use the hose...Also use compressed air to blow out the water, followed closely with WD-40. If it makes you feel better use your premix fuel, since you probably already have it handy. Remember, compressed air is full of moisture, even when used with a water trap. After the fuel bath it's pretty much "go time". Good luck!

I blew a skirt on my cr500 years ago and tried to flush it with deisel fuel but I ended up splitting the cases and glad I did as there was a nice sized chunk in one of the main bearings that would come out, that would have caused some serious damage. To be honest, if you can do it yourself it would just cost a few bucks for some gaskets and you could better check the bottom end while the cylinder is being fixed.

Man that really sucks you are definitely a good sport about all of it too. Most guys would have a novel of a rant by now, but I completely understand the "lack of funds" as well but sometimes you just have to stop yourself and say wow, I can't afford that until I do this....and so on....So, if you can do the water/diesel thing then do it but you've got be 100% sure on it or then you'll really have a novel long rant going! Good luck bro, remember, it happens to the best of us!!!

I wouldn't trust blowing it out, debris can easily get into the crank journals and main crank bearings. I like the idea of washing it out with gas.

I'm still a bit perplexed how the c clamp broke. I usually push one end in and follow it around with a little plastic tool I use to use for TV repair which is hardened and it usually pops right into place. Its a bitty piece of junk for sure, but it's pretty straight forward to install. I assume you used the new ones that came with your piston AND you didn't put the piston in backwards by accident.

It still may have not been the failure point though, but I can definitely see it with how dinky those things are.

Thanks guys for the responds!!!

Yes a lack of funds suck.. Its just have some personal problems at the house and just spending $300 for the last rebuild.. I wish money grew on trees then i could finally have a good night sleep!!:smirk:

I will def do the diesel flush, how ever if alot or any shavings come out then i will think about splitting the case..

And what also sucks is before sending my cylinder out to us chrome i also saw some bad cracks and nics in the cylinder endges that were so bent they cracked.. Im just hoping its repairable...:bonk:

But thats life and i guess its my turn for the crappy section haha!

But we shall see what this brings us too tomorrow...

Wonder how hard it is to split the cases...

No the motor was installed correctly! Piston was facin foward:worthy::smirk::bonk::thumbsup:

I guess its just was one of those things.... If only it hsppened closer to camp:foul:

I guess its just was one of those things.... If only it hsppened closer to camp:foul:

One reason I don't like riding on trails... Last time I went, one of my friends motors ceased. Took us four hours to get the bike out and back into the truck, totally ruining any fun we could have had.

Now I only ride track. If the bike breaks, you do the walk of shame 300 feet back to your truck, grab the parts you need to fix it, and get back to riding. :bonk: