Sign in to follow this  

Oil on brakes

I've made the mistake of squirting oil onto my wheel bearings and of course the oil has flicked up all over the brake rotors, how do I get it off? I tried to keep riding until it wore off but it's too dangerous with hardly any brakes, do I need to replace the brake pads?

If oil is just on rotors then just clean it off with brake cleaner. If the pad got oil on it then replacing the pads is the best thing. If it was just a drop or two then quickly wipe it off with brake cleaner. If it is quite a bit or been a while then the petroleum can get into the pad and start dissolving the binders and the pads may crack and/or break apart.

If oil is just on rotors then just clean it off with brake cleaner. If the pad got oil on it then replacing the pads is the best thing. If it was just a drop or two then quickly wipe it off with brake cleaner. If it is quite a bit or been a while then the petroleum can get into the pad and start dissolving the binders and the pads may crack and/or break apart.

THIS :bonk:

Just a FYI, squirting oil onto your wheel bearings is doing nothing, you need to remove the wheels from the bike, remove the seals from the hub, and take a pick to remove the bearings seal, at which point you will use grease to pack the bearings.

So please stop it.

just a fyi, squirting oil onto your wheel bearings is doing nothing, you need to remove the wheels from the bike, remove the seals from the hub, and take a pick to remove the bearings seal, at which point you will use grease to pack the bearings.

so please stop it.

lol :bonk::smirk: