Discover Pass - Greedy State still gets it wrong

I just received this in the DNR Recreational News Letter.

Hello:

You may have heard that first-quarter sales of the Discover Pass were lower than originally projected. Given that the program is new, the lower sales weren't completely unexpected.

To better understand how we can make the Discover Pass more successful, staff from Washington State Parks and the Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and DNR spent time this fall talking to people with diverse recreation interests.

The biggest concern we heard is that the Discover Pass is not transferable to another vehicle, unlike the WDFW Vehicle Access Pass, which can be used for two vehicles.

We also met with more than 20 statewide recreation organizations, Governor's staff, and legislators to discuss ways to gain broader public acceptance of the Discover Pass.

From these discussions, three options emerged:

1.Transferability between two vehicles--still costing $30. (The Discover Pass hang tag would have two spaces to write in license numbers.)

2. When two Discover Passes are purchased at the same time, the first pass is $30; the second pass would be at a reduced price.

3. Make Discover Pass available for an unlimited number of vehicles at an increased price.

We conducted a statewide survey to test these options to determine not only what the public would accept but what would also generate enough revenue to support recreation access and activities on state lands. We learned that people would be more likely to purchase the pass if they could transfer it between two vehicles (option 1). In addition, the survey showed that this option would likely improve pass sales and generate revenues closer to original estimates.

Though this will be only a minor improvement it still reeks of greed and shows the state is incapable of interviewing people. I suspect that these three options were given to people so that they might choose between the lesser of three evils and option number 1 was best liked.

This still leaves us with the problem of having to purchase more than one pass if we are to have more than one vehicle on DNR land at the same time. So if I use my truck to transport my dual sport motorcycle to DNR land, I must still purchase two Discover Passes.

The real problem with the Discover Pass is that it is a Permit for road legal motorized vehicles to be on Public Land. Instead they should have changed the Pass into a Parking Permit which is transferable between two vehicles. Thus allowing any vehicle to drive on DNR land without a Permit. This would follow the format of the Forest Pass. That way any vehicle which is transported and then driven on DNR land does not need the pass. Only the transport vehicle which will be parked for the day would need the Pass and then only when it is parked in a maintained parking area. This is how the Forest Pass works and we have no issues in purchasing it.

What the State has done in no way addresses our need as dual sport motorcycle riders. This is another do nothing and make it look like they did something action our state is famous for. Nothing has changed.

Edited by Old_Man_Time

I doubt that the DNR has much say in the process.

This is all about State Parks in the eyes of most Legislators.

Senator Hargrove has sponsored a bill that is slightly better.

Just like SB5977, SB5998 would allow transferability between two vehicles, but in addition it would limit the d-pass requirement on DNR managed land to developed facilities such as campgrounds, trails and trailheads.

This would mean you could roll the roads without a D-pass and if you have an ORV permit, use the trails without the pass too.

Unfortunately this bill is unlikely to move forward.

SB5977 will get all of the attention because it is sponsored by Senator Ranker who was the prime sponsor of the original d-pass legislation and the bill will come before the commitee he chairs.

Edited by tod701

And I am still trying to figure out if the WDFS permit I got last August when getting a fishing license is good for parking at Belfair???

Aaaahhh....too much overload before the holidays!

It was not supposed to be, but we have heard that in some cases WDFW did mistakenly issue D-passes with fishing licenses.

Does your permit specifically say Discover Pass?

If not, then it is only good at WDFW sites.

I doubt that the DNR has much say in the process.

This is all about State Parks in the eyes of most Legislators.

Correction made Todd. As the Title of the thread indicates I was talking about the State but slipped up and gave the DNR credit for this greedy legislation.

It was not supposed to be, but we have heard that in some cases WDFW did mistakenly issue D-passes with fishing licenses.

Does your permit specifically say Discover Pass?

If not, then it is only good at WDFW sites.

Very good question. I will check when I get home and dig it out from greasy work bench.

Senator Hargrove has sponsored a bill that is slightly better. Just like SB5977, SB5998 would allow transferability between two vehicles, but in addition it would limit the d-pass requirement on DNR managed land to developed facilities such as campgrounds, trails and trailheads.

This would mean you could roll the roads without a D-pass and if you have an ORV permit, use the trails without the pass too.

Unfortunately this bill is unlikely to move forward.

SB5977 will get all of the attention because it is sponsored by Senator Ranker who was the prime sponsor of the original d-pass legislation and the bill will come before the commitee he chairs.

We need to quit accepting inferior legislation. Senator Ranker may be behind his inferior bill but we are not behind it. We need to quit assenting to things we do not believe in. Let's support Senator Hargroves Bill SB5998 since it truly will give us fair treatment. Quit taking scraps from the Kings table cause this is a Republic. Senators: its Represent or Retirement!!!!!!! :bonk:

Let's support Senator Hargroves Bill SB5998 since it truly will give us fair treatment.

:bonk:

It has also been assigned to Ranker's Senate Energy, Natural Resources & Marine Waters Committee.

Their email addresses:

Ranker.Kevin@leg.wa.gov

Delvin.jerome@leg.wa.gov

Regala.Debbie@leg.wa.gov

Morton.Bob@leg.wa.gov

Fraser.Karen@leg.wa.gov

Hargrove.James@leg.wa.gov

Murray.ed@leg.wa.gov

Stevens.Val@leg.wa.gov

Swecker.Dan@leg.wa.gov

Wonder if sheriff's will be out next Wednesday at Belfair?

there are lots of riders with property the butts up against Belfair. One of those guys needs to open up his back yard to MC dudes to stage out of and charge $2 a head. :bonk: his kids would do well with that, win / win.

there are lots of riders with property the butts up against Belfair. One of those guys needs to open up his back yard to MC dudes to stage out of and charge $2 a head. :bonk: his kids would do well with that, win / win.

That is a great idea!! I'd pay $5 easy just to make sure the state gets the shaft ?.

We were up at Vedder BC again yesterday and it is amazing what they can do with orv money that actually goes to trails. Not a big fan of everything they do up there in general, but some things are MUCH better than here, ie orv areas.

Passport IS required to get back into the US of A.

Why do people say stuff like this? Will the EDL not work????

*slackinhard..knowing what i do know, I wouldn't have gotten the EDL. would have taken the extra time/money for a passport.

**Sorry, this is off-topic

Hit up Vedder last summer. Two guys and two bikes in the back of the truck. I had a passport, brother had an EDL. Ten minute wait (tops), and we were in no problem.

There's a $45 BCORMA trail pass that you can buy to help out the trails up there, but it's optional. We didn't get one for that ride because we wanted to "try before we buy." The trail pass mostly gets you a decent map, which can't be found anywhere else.

For $60 there's an enhanced trail pass that has the added benefit of giving you liability insurance. This allows you to ride the FSRs without getting a $365 ticket. I have heard, though, that there aren't really many patrols up there, so you're more than likely to get away with riding without.

Either way, you can check out BCORMA's website for more information.

As far as getting back into the states, another ten minute wait at the border, no questions asked, no need for proof of ownership, and we were back home.

It really wasn't a big deal. Wish I would have had a map, though.