Sign in to follow this  

2011 rmz250 gopro natural terrain motocross (sand track)

my girlfriend just bought me a gopro 960 and yesterday i got a chance to try it out. this is a natural terrain motocross track with a sand base in Stupava Slovakia. hope you all enjoy

I love tracks like that , though it could have been wider in spots , as it would get sketchy with a few riders bunched up in places , your 3rd lap was a 1:59 , so i am guessing the track is about 1.5 miles long ??

I love tracks like that , though it could have been wider in spots , as it would get sketchy with a few riders bunched up in places , your 3rd lap was a 1:59 , so i am guessing the track is about 1.5 miles long ??

wow, i didnt time myself for quite a while on the track but from the beginning of the year i was riding a 2:12 so thats a good sign i guess. a little optimistic with the track length though, i was told that the track is about 2km (1.24 miles) :bonk:, in my defense: it doesnt look it in the vid but alot of the turns are deep sand and can swallow your momentum quick if your not perfect, but yeah im also not the fastest guy out there...

No you looked fine , i also ride sand tracks so i know all too well about how deep the sand is and how it takes a lot of effort to keep momentum up , especially in corners , at least i was close on the track length , i was basing it on the lap time (i only timed that 1 lap) as that is about how long it takes me to go around the 1.5 mile track i ride on in about 2:00- 2:04, which i was doing at about 2:10 - 2:12 prior to that , so it looked similar to my helmet cam vids speed wise and time wise per lap

Just so you know , when you make a video with a helmet cam, it will time in real time so you can pick a spot on the track and use the timer on the video itself for each lap , on each video as you mark a specific point on the track , then read the time at that exact spot , then when you get to the exact spot again at the end of that lap look at the timer , and total the minutes/seconds and you will have your time within a few tenths depending on how accurate you are at noting the point on the track every lap so as a example , if you got to a specific point at 2:04 on the timer , and at the end of the lap you got to that exact spot again at 4:08 , then you made a lap in 2:04 , then you use the end time as the start time for your next lap , and so on , it will give you a good idea where you are , and how consistent your laps are , without using a transponder or having someone standing at the side of the track with a stopwatch counting laps , i average about 2 - 3 seconds variance per lap once i get the track figured out

No you looked fine , i also ride sand tracks so i know all too well about how deep the sand is and how it takes a lot of effort to keep momentum up , especially in corners , at least i was close on the track length , i was basing it on the lap time (i only timed that 1 lap) as that is about how long it takes me to go around the 1.5 mile track i ride on in about 2:00- 2:04, which i was doing at about 2:10 - 2:12 prior to that , so it looked similar to my helmet cam vids speed wise and time wise per lap

Just so you know , when you make a video with a helmet cam, it will time in real time so you can pick a spot on the track and use the timer on the video itself for each lap , on each video as you mark a specific point on the track , then read the time at that exact spot , then when you get to the exact spot again at the end of that lap look at the timer , and total the minutes/seconds and you will have your time within a few tenths depending on how accurate you are at noting the point on the track every lap so as a example , if you got to a specific point at 2:04 on the timer , and at the end of the lap you got to that exact spot again at 4:08 , then you made a lap in 2:04 , then you use the end time as the start time for your next lap , and so on , it will give you a good idea where you are , and how consistent your laps are , without using a transponder or having someone standing at the side of the track with a stopwatch counting laps , i average about 2 - 3 seconds variance per lap once i get the track figured out

hey i think i saw your vids, do your tracks get pretty rough too? yes the lap time is a good idea, i actually timed my last lap to be the best at about 1:58. i love the gopro. it does a really good job at capturing the action thanks to the fish eye lens, but sometimes it doesnt capture the true steepness and roughness of the some sections of the track lol.

if you dont mind me asking, you may notice on my video that on the upper quarter of the screen there is a horizontal line of video that looks to be corupt (out of sync usually at higher speeds or when its bumpy), is this normal or should i get it checked out by gopro under warranty?

Yea , the track here gets pretty brutal sometimes , some of the holes are 2 ft deep and square edged , they beat the crap out of you , the entire back straightaway is comprised of nothing but square edged holes that look like whoops , but are not

And i agree about the lens not showing the details of terrain to well , it usually never does a accurate view of what you actually see , though my GoPro is the non HD 5.0 version , so the detail is even less than your HD model , so it shows even less of how terrain changes or how deep ruts really are and how large elevation changes are depicted

As far as your video , i just re-watched it again , as i didn't recall any glitches and i still didn't see anything aside from a small blur on the upper left side , but that was moisture that got put on about the time you were passing those other guys in the first few minutes of the video , other than that , i did not see anything but a clear picture

I watched it in 480p as that is as high a resolution my old PC can handle and it was real clear and not choppy , even when you were in the braking bumps and rough areas i saw nothing resembling a line or anything near or at the top or anywhere else on the screen , so i dont really know what you are referring to on that

2ft square edged bumps!!! thats pretty bad, our tracks get real rough on the up/down hill sections, the rest just tend to get whooped out. thanks for taking the time to look at the video, it looks like the video "tears" at certain horizontal resolution lines but its not very noticable, thanks for the input