Sign in to follow this  

6000 km oil change?

Can the DRZ handle going that long on the same oil? I use semi-synthetic 10-40 and change it more often than that, but I am going to Baja and want to know when I should be changing it. Consider my engine will have some hard days in the dunes and sand.

I change mine every 500 miles regardless using 10/40 semi , now we are on 41000 miles.

3750 miles without an oil change, I wouldn't even consider it. My Z is a mostly commuter bike and I can feel the difference in the trans when the oil get broken down within my 1000 mile oil change regimen. But 3750 miles under harsh hot sandy conditions with no oil change? Are you asking if it will survive to the finish line or to the finish line and beyond?

I change mine every 500 miles regardless using 10/40 semi , now we are on 41000 miles.

Did you change cam chain?Mine has 49 000 km with OEM chain and ACCT.It isn't topic about that but I had a need to ask. :bonk:

my last oil change had 4200km on it. the oil came out looking like new, and I had no change in shifting with the new oil.

Take the oil drain pan out into the sunlight to view the metal shavings and you can make your own decision. My XR650R recomended every 500 miles, I do my 400E about every 500 to 600.

my last oil change had 4200km on it. the oil came out looking like new, and I had no change in shifting with the new oil.

It's not that it looks like new or not but the fact that it has broken down due to our motors beating the ever loving hell out of it. I consistently change around 1000 miles and it looks as good as the day it went in, but its not. I think...

WOW.

For something that costs under $50 to do, and maybe a half hour of your life to do properly... why is it even up for debate? :smirk: It's quite obvious that frequent oil changes is the very basic foundation of a healthy, long lasting motorcycle... why take that risk?

It just boggles my mind how many times this gets asked; 700-1000 mile periods between oil changes is recommended, no if's and's or but's... pull up your big boy pants and @#*&ing do it :bonk:

Can the DRZ handle going that long on the same oil?

It might make it that long but you would be adding a LOT of wear and tear on the engine.

I use semi-synthetic 10-40 and change it more often than that

Warm weather, hard running I would use 20-50 full ester

but I am going to Baja and want to know when I should be changing it. Consider my engine will have some hard days in the dunes and sand.

Riding that hard I would probably change at 500 miles or less.

Don't forget to clean the air cleaner after every day of riding off road.

Can the DRZ handle going that long on the same oil?

sure, maybe even three or four times. Give it a go and let us know how it works out.

What would you guys suggest for a mainly commuting/twisty bike?

Can the DRZ handle going that long on the same oil? I use semi-synthetic 10-40 and change it more often than that, but I am going to Baja and want to know when I should be changing it. Consider my engine will have some hard days in the dunes and sand.

I wouldn't go 6k with hard riding....As a minimum at least try and get 1 or 2 oil changes in the trip..

What would you guys suggest for a mainly commuting/twisty bike?

You mean oil change frequency or type of bike to do it on...??

1000 miles for oil changes / and on an SM....:bonk:

Thanks for the input, I usually change it between 1000 and 2000 kms. I just was looking in the manual and saw that was the recomendation. I don't think that I would let it go that far. It has the OEM chain and a manual tensioner. I clean the air filter when its dirty, but not everyday. In my opinion, that would be overservicing and can actually end up letting more dirt in every time you clean it than it would with letting it go until it actually needs it. And the heat shouldn't be too bad, it's only about 18 degrees in San Felipe right now. Hardly hot.

I wonder why the manufacturer thinks it's OK to go 6000 kms between oil changes and oil filter at 18,000 kms? There is no way I'd go that far!

I always cut my filter and look at what's inside it. It had a concerning amount of metal in it when I went 2800kms in Baja last year, but it looked the same after 1000 kms of riding around here at home. I figure it must just be normal wear from the engine, clutch and drivetrain.

Thanks for the input, I usually change it between 1000 and 2000 kms. I just was looking in the manual and saw that was the recomendation. I don't think that I would let it go that far. It has the OEM chain and a manual tensioner. I clean the air filter when its dirty, but not everyday. In my opinion, that would be overservicing and can actually end up letting more dirt in every time you clean it than it would with letting it go until it actually needs it. And the heat shouldn't be too bad, it's only about 18 degrees in San Felipe right now. Hardly hot.

I wonder why the manufacturer thinks it's OK to go 6000 kms between oil changes and oil filter at 18,000 kms? There is no way I'd go that far!

I always cut my filter and look at what's inside it. It had a concerning amount of metal in it when I went 2800kms in Baja last year, but it looked the same after 1000 kms of riding around here at home. I figure it must just be normal wear from the engine, clutch and drivetrain.

I see the manufacturers recommended oil change intervals are optimistic with many type of vehicles..With my cars I usually do change the oil at 1/2 the recommended..by then the oil is looking rather disgusting..

Along with normal combustion,the wet clutch system is a major contributor to contaminating your oil...Your oil life will be reduced by heavy clutch usage and riding in extreme conditions...

Some motorcycles , such as CRF450, have separate oil systems for gearbox and engine... a much better arrangement , using gearbox and engine specific oils

I wouldn't worry about it if it were highway miles, but sand and hard riding are hard on an engine. I'd change the oil and not the oil filter until you get home.

I just packed my filter, I was worried that I might not find one, so I put a new one inside a tupperware container to keep it from getting smooshed. When I was in La Paz semi-synthetic oil was $20 a litre, but I guess I'll suck it up, or maybe just change to conventional oil on the way home. Leaving tomorrow!!

change the oil every 1000 to 1500 miles.the oil itself would be good to lubricate your engine after 5000 miles but the transmission will shear it up really quick causing your shifting to get harder.the transmission shears the oil from 10/40 to 10/30 in about 1500 miles or less